mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: mysql proxy IMPROVING performance?

On Sep 5, 2009, at 1:24 AM, Adrienne Porter Felt wrote:

BTW, is this MySQL Proxy 0.7.x, or a custom built 0.8? 0.8 would be
multithreaded
already screwing my entire explanation even more ;)

It's 0.7.x, whichever came with funnel.

Thank you for the brainstorming........this is extremely puzzling. Our test code is very short and simple and none of us can find bugs in it; all we do is change the port our connection goes through (either the proxy or not the
proxy) and time the statement.

rats, there goes my theory… :)

i'm assuming you benchmark app is simple enough to be able to share it?
i would like to try to repeat it and gather same information on why this could happen. not that i'm overly disappointed that it's faster, but as you said: it is puzzling
and i don't like not having a good answer to your questions.

more work is being done, so it should never be faster than the direct path. there, i said it. ah, another thing: is this on localhost or across the network? not that i have any grand ideas
but it would be good to know.

cheers,
-k

--
Kay Roepke
Software Engineer, MySQL Enterprise Tools

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Sonnenallee 1, DE-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Geschaeftsfuehrer:    Thomas Schroeder,  Wolfang Engels,  Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitz d. Aufs.rat.: Martin Haering                    HRB MUC 161028