novacut-community team mailing list archive

Announcing dmedia 0.6 "go time"

I'm happy to announce the 6th release of the Distributed Media
Library<https://launchpad.net/dmedia>(aka "dmedia"). This is a special
release because today also marks the
release of Pioneer One episode
4<http://www.pioneerone.tv/2011/04/28/episode-4-is-out-now/>,
and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal <http://www.ubuntu.com/>. At this point
dmedia is really just for developers and *highly* adventurous end-users, but
the design and implementation are both progressing quickly.

You can download the source tarball here:
dmedia-0.6.0.tar.gz<https://launchpad.net/dmedia/trunk/0.6/+download/dmedia-0.6.0.tar.gz>

Packages are available for Ubuntu Natty in the Novacut Stable Releases
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable>
.
What's new in dmedia 0.6

In this release dmedia has been further split into simpler components. This
means we can use a very minimal dmedia install for media consumption apps
like the Novacut player, and only install the other components when apps
like the Novacut editor need them.

Highlights include:

   - Thanks to David Green <https://launchpad.net/%7Edavid4dev>, the media
   browser has a basic Application
Menu<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/697670>,
   giving it nice integration in Unity
   - Almost declared the version zero
schema<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/749699>final, but
decided to wait another month (this is a big decision because we
   will maintain compatibility with the version zero schema indefinitely)
   - Split into two DBus services, one that will provide the core
   functionality all dmedia apps need, and a second that just takes care of the
   Pro File Import UX <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AyatanaDmediaLovefest>
   - Added new core API entry
point<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/753260>

For details, see bugs fixed in the dmedia 0.6
milestone<https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/0.6>
.
Special thanks

   - A special thanks to richthegeek
<https://twitter.com/#%21/richthegeek>for porting
   microfiber to
CoffeeScript<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/webui/data/microfiber.coffee>...
   although I ended up writing a JavaScript
port<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Edmedia/dmedia/trunk/view/head:/dmedia/webui/data/couch.js>instead
of using the CoffeeScript version, I didn't give credit where credit
   was due... not cool, for which I apologize
   - Thanks to Ian 'IZO' Cylkowski <https://twitter.com/#%21/Hexual> for
   doing a beautiful brand and identity design for Novacut... we're going to
   unveil the full design at the Ubuntu Developer
Summit<http://uds.ubuntu.com/>,
   so stay tuned
   - Thanks to Harno Ranaivo <https://twitter.com/#%21/HarnoRanaivo> for
   making a fantastic set of icons from our new logo!
   - And a big thanks to Manish Sinha
<https://launchpad.net/%7Emanishsinha>for grueling research on how
   best to do EXIF extraction from
Python<https://bugs.launchpad.net/dmedia/+bug/680886>

Contribute to 0.7 and beyond!

We do monthly time-based releases, always releasing on the last Thursday of
the month. That means we promise to make a release on time each month, but
never promise what exact features will land.

dmedia 0.7 will be released on Thursday May 26 2011, and development is
already underway. To see what's in store for the next release, checkout dmedia
0.7 milestone <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/0.7>.
That's all, folks!

Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!
Cheers,
Jason Gerard DeRose <http://twitter.com/#%21/jgderose>