novacut-community team mailing list archive

Announcing the Novacut 12.02 components

Try as we might, we couldn't tie up all the loose ends to get our cutting
workflow usable. In a live edit we can now adjust slices and reorder them
in a sequence, all with real-time
collaboration<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1DnAsEszs>.

But the pieces we didn't finish are adding clips into the edit (from
Dmedia), and creating slices of those clips in the first place. James
Raymond <https://plus.google.com/100070870253962033333/posts> has done
great prototypes of these, but we didn't finish integrating all the pieces
and making them work on live edits. Next month?
Doodling

In our user research for Novacut, a theme that comes up over and *over* is
a fear of making certain types of changes in one's edit, a fear of
"breaking things". And this is a serious problem because it means existing
software tends to scare editors away from experimentation. So we've put a
lot of work into making sure changing your Novacut edit doesn't have
unintended side-effects.

We also want you to be able to *doodle in the margins*, so to speak, to
have a place to stage your thoughts without yet causing *any* change in the
edit. The first place we're experimenting with this is in the big box
labeled "Doodle Here":

 <http://cdn.novacut.com/novacut-doodle.png>

The idea is that when you first create a slice, it doesn't have to go
anywhere yet, it can just hang out in the doodle area. Or if you want to
remove a slice from the sequence, just drag it back into the doodle area...
that way you can remove a slice from the sequence without *loosing* that
slice. I really wished we could have gotten this all finished for the
release because I'm so excited for people to try it. *Next month!*
Thanks to all the artists!

For this month's special thanks, I want to thank the many artists who
constantly help steer us is the right direction. Of course this includes
all the members of the Vimeo Novacut Artist
Diaries<https://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/members>,
and many others, but there are a few people I want to thank specifically:

   - Josh Bernhard <https://twitter.com/#%21/joshbernhard>
   - Bracey Smith <https://twitter.com/#%21/BraceySmith>
   - Hanna Sköld <http://www.tangramfilm.se/?page_id=87>
   - Eric Adler <https://twitter.com/#%21/eric_adler>
   - Antonio Roberts <https://twitter.com/#%21/hellocatfood>
   - Christie Strong <https://twitter.com/#%21/strongfeatures>
   - Arin Crumley <https://twitter.com/#%21/arincrumley>
   - Joe Wilson <https://twitter.com/#%21/joewilsontv>
   - Christie Grinham <https://twitter.com/#%21/christiegrinham>
   - Tadeusz Cantwell <https://twitter.com/#%21/tadcan>
   - Daniel Blanco <https://twitter.com/#%21/zareone>
   - Josh Brown <https://twitter.com/#%21/JoshuaB86>
   - Martin Reisch <https://twitter.com/#%21/safesolvent>
   - Kris Navarro <https://vimeo.com/roninghost>
   - David J. Fulde<https://plus.google.com/u/0/103913700059567278291/posts>

 We've been really touched by how many busy professionals have been willing
to spend time giving us feedback and guidance. With your help, we've been
able to take Novacut in some bold directions, yet stay on track... because
many kind artists have given us a nudge back onto the road whenever we've
veered off.

And for anyone thinking of designing an open-source pro creative app:
please *start* by talking to your pro creative users! There's no sense
building a great solution to the wrong problem!
Get the bits

Packages are available in the Novacut Stable Releases
PPA<https://launchpad.net/%7Enovacut/+archive/stable?field.series_filter=precise>for
Ubuntu Oneiric and Precise. And you can download the source code from
each component's Launchpad project page:

   - novacut <https://launchpad.net/novacut>
   - dmedia <https://launchpad.net/dmedia>
   - filestore <https://launchpad.net/filestore>
   - microfiber <https://launchpad.net/microfiber>
   - userwebkit <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit>
   - usercouch <https://launchpad.net/usercouch>
   - dc3 <https://launchpad.net/dc3>

Contribute to 12.03 and beyond!

We always release on the last Thursday of the month. The 12.03 components
will be released on Thursday March 29, 2012, and development is already
underway. To see what's in store for the next releases, checkout the 12.03
milestones:

   - novacut 12.03 <https://launchpad.net/novacut/+milestone/12.03>
   - dmedia 12.03 <https://launchpad.net/dmedia/+milestone/12.03>
   - userwebkit 12.03 <https://launchpad.net/userwebkit/+milestone/12.03>

That's all, folks!

Thanks to everyone who is helping make this dream a reality!

Cheers,
Jason Gerard DeRose <https://plus.google.com/114471118004229223857/posts>