nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Purpose of this List

Hi André,

> How do you expect things to work when a new feature or change
> is being discussed? The line between "general discussion" and
> "implementation" is sometimes blurry (as in "everything can
> be done as it would require too much work, so let's see what
> we can actually do"), but neither mailing list includes both
> parts of the discussion...
> So what do you propose?
> Parallel discussions? Deciding on a case-by-case basis using
> good sense?

Almost nothing is too complicated to accept - that's why we
have a backlog of over 100 feature requests on Sourceforge. :-)

I'm hoping we can stop just accepting everything and adding it
to a list we'll work on when we can. Launchpad gives us a way
of sheperding an implementation proposal through (blueprints)
but not so much of a way for deciding on value - which leaves
either discussion lists or this new experiment with ideatorrent.

I grant it's almost impossible to leave implementability out of
a discussion of a feature with users - and also impossible to
avoid discussing value when prioritizing effort internally.
Still, I think it's fairly easy to distinguish in practice,
at least most of the time.

For example, these are user discussions:

1. Is it better for test cases to be sorted or just listed as
NUnit gets them? What are the pros and cons for the user?

2. Should nunit allow you to designate a name to be used for
a test fixture - other than it's class name, that is.

3. What icons would you like to see for different test results?

These are developer discussions:

1. Are we willing to use some heuristic re-ordering to make
attributes come out in lexical even if .NET doesn't do that.

2. Should the specified test name be carried in a separate
field or just overwrite the existing name fields.

3. What size must the icons be and what's the best format.

> Or maybe I'm just didn't understand you correctly, and/or am
> needlessly complicating things :)

I probably started it by trying to write a general statement.
It's really a lot easier to decide on a case by case basis.

> Also, I'd make "Proposals for changes and discussions of
> proposed changes, including the implementation of new
> features." a bit more explicit, as that can confuse some
> people who don't immediately see the difference between
> "changes" and "new features"... Especially since you say "New
> feature ideas should first be proposed and discussed" elsewhere.
> I can't, however, currently think of a better wording - maybe
> something along the lines of "Discussing changes to existing
> NUnit features" and "Discussing implementation details of new
> features"? But even so the line between "user-visible
> changes" and "internal changes" is blurry...

I'll work on it.

Charlie