nunit-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Framework in GAC

Hi Jamie,

> > Can there be any problems when someone is working on two projects
> > which use different versions of NUnit, and where both
> projects expect
> > NUnit to be in the GAC?
> >
> This isn't a problem if 'Specific Version' is set to 'True'
> on the 'nunit.framework' reference in Visual Studio. This
> isn't however the default and I expect many people would
> forget to change it before publishing their source.

Are you talking about other projects that use NUnit like
TD.Net does? I guess I was mostly thinking about folks using
it for their tests, who don't usually publish them and who
vastly outnumber guys like yourself. :-)

That said, we *also* want to make it easy for other tools to
to use NUnit. How can we do that?

> I always recommend that people include 'nunit.framework.dll'
> or link to it in their test projects. This way their source
> will compile first time without needing to distribute
> .csproj.user files or having a dependency on the NUnit installer.

That's how NUnit is (now) supposed to work. You have to have
the assembly present in order to run your tests. Of course,
if we use the GAC it will still have to be present, but just
not in the same directory.

I'm not entirely following the use case you're talking
about, so I may be missing something.

Charlie