Re: OpenERP v6.0 - Call for translations

Le 23/11/10 17:42, Ferdinand Gassauer a écrit :
Hello Olivier!
thanks for letting us know

for the german translation we have still a lot of technical problems - see
attached mail (sorry in German)

For any specific issue with translations export, incorrect terms, missing ones, etc., please do not hesitate to post bugs on Launchpad. There are some outstanding ones about translations that will be fixed soon, but the situation has been greatly improved during the past weeks.

we have discussed the folowing issues

the scripts should be packed into a base_translate module (a new tab on
module form) with exactly this workflow so that every operation is done out of
and controlled by OpenERP

Thanks for an alternative system to manage translations for OpenERP. Your "base_translate" message could be an interesting addition for those that do not want to work on Launchpad. Feel free to contribute such a module or make a blueprint about this for the future.

However for v6.0 we strongly advise translators to work on Launchpad directly. There may be some shortcomings in Rosetta, but this is the system we recommend and it provides most of the tools we need:
- online collaborative platform, ubiquitous, no setup required
- built-in suggestion/review process
- benefits from suggestions from all 20k+ Launchpad Projects (cross-project database)
- enforces permissions regarding translation teams
- ensures correctness of PO files, automatic synchronization with the code
- remembers translation credits and grants LP translation karma
- and much more!

I understand that some people would like to work low-level with PO files, but this would make the process way too complex for newcomers and non-technical people (which translators may be).
Read your description again and compare it with
 1. Login on Launchpad
 2. Click on "Help Translate" on an OpenERP project
 3. Start typing/reviewing translations right away

Perhaps you have had a bad past experience with Rosetta, but it has improved a lot, and is quite usable. Please don't try to fight the system and after using it for a while, you may realize it has strong advantages too :-) And if you still believe in working at PO-level directly, we respect that, but cannot recommend it and have no plans to make it the default system at this point.

workflow
* download po/pot from bzr / rosetta
* translate (using a GUI tool like poedit, lokalize)
* import
* proof read - correction - very important to see helptext together with label
anf form context
* export (must be ordered by msg_id !?)
* upload to bzr

->  translate button is only available if state is download or export

the tab should show personal translation statistics of the workflow
* workflow name, datetime, user (proof read might be done by some else)

the download could/should set  a flag/file in the bzr directory
de_DE.po.<user>   or de_DE.po.lock (with name + mail + date inside)
which is removed by the upload.
so we would know who is translating a module.
All translators will know the consequences breaking this lock
An automatic mail should be send to the former lock-holder.

compared with the mess we have now it seems a simple solution

If translation is not comfortable it won't be done or will not be good

Best Regards
Dr. Ferdinand Gassauer
Camptocamp Austria
http://www.camptocamp.at