Re: [Openerp-expert-localization] OpenERP v6.0 - Call for translations

Le 23/11/10 13:56, Lorenzo Battistini a écrit :
Hi Olivier,

Hi Lorenzo!

I just want to ask about untranslatable terms: this morning, using
crm_claim, I saw that menu item 'After-Sale Services' is not present
in any .pot file. Indeed, can't find it in rosetta:
https://translations.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/trunk/+pots/crm-claim/it/+translate?batch=10&show=all&search=Services

Good question!

Indeed, you will find it in the translations of "base", because the menuitem is declared with an XML ID in the "base" namespace (see below).

Moreover, generating .pot file for crm_claim module by OpenERP, this
file does not contain the impeached phrase. Something wrong with
export procedure?

There is not error in this case, but the term will be located in base.pot when you export base instead.

This is just an example, I don't know if there are other untranslated
terms. I was wondering why this happened.
Clues?

Here is a more detailed explanations, because it's a bit tricky.
The declaration of the "After-Sale Services" is the following:

  <menuitem id="base.menu_aftersale" name="After-Sale Services"
            groups="base.group_extended,base.group_sale_salesman"
            parent="base.menu_base_partner" sequence="7" />

As you can see, the XML identifier for the menu is "base.menu_aftersale", which means that it is overriding a menu from the base module, or in this case, creating a shared menu in the "base" namespace.

This is used in some addons when they share menus or groups, i.e. because these groups/menus should be installed when either of the addons are installed, even when they share no common dependency (except base).

As a result, the term to translate will be located in the translations terms of the module where the XML ID points to, in this case, "base":
https://translations.launchpad.net/openobject-server/trunk/+pots/base/it/+translate?show=all&search=Services

Granted, this is a bit peculiar and not very intuitive, but depending on the cases it often makes sense. We'll see if this can be improved after v6.0. There should be only a few cases like this (some menus and groups) Besides, once all modules are translated, you should not have any missing terms remaining.

I hope this answers your questions..