Re: OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

>From another thread, please add:

    • future of extra-addons
    • quality process for non-certified modules

to the list of community-related topics to discuss.

Thank you.
--
Maxime Chambreuil

----- Mail original -----
Hello,

Let me just weight behind Lionel:
demos and presentations don' really need to monopolize the precious time people have the exceptional opportunity to meet physically: posting a blog post, slides or videos over the Internet is perfectly adapted to demonstrations. Actually doing it directly over the Internet is even better as the audience is just much larger.

Now, there is one thing the OpenERP community is currently inefficient at doing is discussing improvements and change BEFORE doing them. Then we see those situations like slow dashboard by default or EDI email by default or fantasist packaging system where nobody seems to agree with the implemented feature, but too late it has been decided and done unilaterally; the money and effort is already spent doing something sub-optimal. This is that kind of situations we better avoid in the future.
I think this comes a lot from a lack of communication from OpenERP SA. I suggest using those meeting days for debating features and making the right choices rather than spending the days doing demo things we already do perfectly on the Internet. In the future, that would be cool to be able to embrace our time and tools and be able to plan things on the Internet too with OpenERP SA too. In the meanwhile, I hope those community days would be used at their best to make the right choices for the future.

A few topics I would like to be debated:

    • partial pickings refactoring indeed
    • on_change refactoring
    • the role of meta data when propagating fields from records to records (cf Yannick Buron's post)
    • related: opportunities to abstract object relations when one object is created from an other (like have a link to sale order line from procurement, but automatically)
    • the opportunity to introduce the concept of fiscal operations in the base of OpenERP (used in real report_intrastat and Brazilian localization at least)
    • module packaging and shared branches
    • OpenERP throughput performance and computed stored fields: avoid useless computations
    • getting several localization installed on the same OpenERP instance (Akretion does it and uses innovative solutions we would like to discuss)

Regards.

--

Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant