Analysing deeply WebClient 7.0 WAS::::: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

Well community, this is the decistion, from Vauxoo as always we will
planify migrate our customers to all in web, lets see how we can affort an
strategy,
@fabien some especific pointers on lost of Must to have features, to comply
with all what our team think is needed.

> > I think we need some features ABSOLUTLY NECESARIES in V7.0 if desition
> > is taken to be able to deploy correctly transition.
> > 1.- Menus ala admin menu (Already in v6.1) we use A LOT this feature:
> > http://drupal.org/files/images/Administration-menu.png
> > 2.- Copy and paste to use tree information on a spreadsheet, it can be
> > solve easyly if we include this feature (not with excel with direct csv).
> > You can implement freely as you think is te correct way, but it can
> > replace the copy-paste just neede to quickly pass to excel y/0 OO.
> >
> http://planet.domsense.com/en/2012/06/openerp-how-to-export-current-tree-view-to-xls-use-web_export_view/
> > 3.- Print Screen in PDF, Priority 1.
> > 4.- Print Workflow in PDF, Priority 1.
> > 5.- I have a question: how do replace the easy way you pass with @Tab@
> > key without loss layout in web?, this is important too!
> > 6.- ShortCuts, Priority 1.
> > 7.- MultiTabs. PLEASE dont ask me develop by myself, i have already this
> > in GTK and is your desition take off.
> > 8.- Test the posibility of use ALL the web client without mouse. When it
> > should be possible, you will think IT IS READY!, after impossible, think
> > in people loading thousand of records per day, not just in new ones that
> > will learn quickly.
> > 9.- If you decide just not mantain, create yourselve the fork and put a
> > copy with openerp-gtk-drivers permisions to make it official, give us
> > the power, but i think it is a bad move.
>
> 1. This is very easy in web. (but requires a bigger develoment in GTK)

Will you implement as we have in V6.1 right now? from MHPOV it is very
important

> 2. probably a 100 lines patch/module for the web client

The example is in the link, can you tell us if you can embed on core this
feature please.

> 3. The printscreen is better in web as it works for everything now,
>    including form views. It uses an @media css through the native
>    printing of the browser. You can also implement the old printscreen
>    which is probably a 100 lines patch/module for the web client

It works, Tested already, and yes @media is the correct way, it needs some
improvements yet to be perfect, we will publish in launchpad this errors,
Cool!

> 4. Already implemented in the debug mode

It works, even, just print "Complete Workflow" we had the resumed (withhout
sub-flow just the square), soon in launchpad too!

> 5. don't understand your question; tabs are the same in web and GTK ?

Tabs, i mean, click and open in a new tab (browser tab) without reload
entire client or click and open an internal tab (as GTK does) i think both
are needed.

> 6. Already implemented

Can you tell me the index of shortcuts, i can read the code, where i look
from, because i can not even test ctrl+N in several browsers it it a new
windows not a new record on OpenERP

> 7. We made breadcrum which is an alternative. If you need tabs, a
>    module is just 100 lines of code.

Sorry i was talking about the same in [4]

> 8. Shortcuts are quite easy to implement in web

Can you make a "Hello World example module" to document this @quite
easy@feature because, "easy" is subjetive if you dont have a lot of
examples,
today is easy develop,
because you open any module and you have the implementation, but i dont see
this clean way of document with code on web, it can be a great help for
community.

> So, I don't see any reason why we need a GTK. Porting those features to
> the web is probably a 10 days effort while making the GTK evolve is
> probably a 30 man*months effort.

Extra ones i forgot:

10 .- WE MUST to have access to local hardware, several reasons, if it is
possible (because we aren't able right now due to the leak of stand alone
client), i must run all a local server on the client side?,
or you will implement some kind of http-hardware-proxy you mentioned on
first blueprints?
11 .- Inheritance, today we have and scheme of inheritance on views really
powerfull, i mean, today it works Pivote [xpath] > New Field(s) Declaration
> REady! ,
now all is pointed to web using a REALLY bad documented qWeb enviroment
(not external libraries as lxlml to solve issues) QUESTIONS:
how it will work for future?,
a.- can you make an example how with 10 lines of XML code i can add one
field to Kanban as we did before in all views?
b.- for me it is not clear/clien enought, but i think it is a matter of
leak of documentation / training, do you think OpenERP can prepare ASAP a
training (Physical training)
c.- for community and/or partner to be able to update and follow you with
our devs your vision?

I mean, in Vauxoo we have +400 free modules, most of them localization and
improvement in important business stuff, i want dedicate the next 2 years
step by step to migrate them and be prepared to impact as less as i can to
our customers in what cost refers, and be able to offer as much OpW as i
can.

Follow ups