Re: Analysing deeply WebClient 7.0 WAS::::: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

On 10/15/2012 04:20 PM, Nhomar Hernández wrote:
>     5. don't understand your question; tabs are the same in web and GTK ?
>

> Tabs, i mean, click and open in a new tab (browser tab) without reload entire
> client or click and open an internal tab (as GTK does) i think both are needed.

Various alternative for web tabs were already developed by the community, have
a look:
https://code.launchpad.net/~h-jaroslav/openerp-web/openerp-web/+merge/120143
(See the MP review, we said we'd welcome this as a module in the core)

>     6. Already implemented
>

> Can you tell me the index of shortcuts, i can read the code, where i look from,
> because i can not even test ctrl+N in several browsers it it a new windows not
> a new record on OpenERP

It was done by the community (and merged) using the standard API for
accessibility shortcuts on the web. Have a look at the merge proposal:
https://code.launchpad.net/~therp-nl/openerp-web/openerp-web_accesskeys/+merge/118515

> 11 .- Inheritance, today we have and scheme of inheritance on views really
> powerfull, i mean, today it works Pivote [xpath] > New Field(s) Declaration >
> REady! ,
> now all is pointed to web using a REALLY bad documented qWeb enviroment (not
> external libraries as lxlml to solve issues)

I think you're confusing different kinds of views. Regular OpenERP views like
inheritance mechanism) in 7.0. The only difference is you can add a
version="7.0" attribute to enable "XHTML" mode on a form view. It will allow
you to add extra HTML5 elements to your form, in order to get more flexible
layout, while still using the normal notebook/group/field elements as much as
possible. This has nothing to do with qweb/kanban views, however.

> QUESTIONS:
> how it will work for future?,
> a.- can you make an example how with 10 lines of XML code i can add one field
> to Kanban as we did before in all views?

Kanban views were added in 6.1 and are different from regular form views (this
is not new in 7.0) Their layout is completely dynamic and may change from one
record to another (more than what attrs would allow). They may render to any
kind of XHTML, and have direct access to the javascript record object that was
loaded (result of read()). That's why they are defined in qweb, the templating
language used for web widgets. You could see kanban view as special web widget
to display records.

OpenERP's view inheritance mechanism is based exclusively on XHTML elements, so
kanban views can be inherited exactly as any other view. You'll find many
examples in official addons, like this one in project_issue where the project
kanban view is inherited twice:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp/openobject-addons/trunk/view/head:/project_issue/project_issue_view.xml#L373

> I mean, in Vauxoo we have +400 free modules, most of them localization and
> improvement in important business stuff, i want dedicate the next 2 years
> step by step to migrate them and be prepared to impact as less as i can to our
> customers in what cost refers, and be able to offer as much OpW as i can.

I'm not sure I 100% understand. It's great to see you want to embrace the web
client, but there's really no need to plan for extra large work in your custom
modules.
There will be no more work to migrate them than for any major version jump: the
API is backwards compatible, you only need to test your modules under v7.0 and
fine-tune them (L&F, core model changes, etc.), just like any migration.
Or get our migration team to do it for you, really there's not much to it.

And when your customers start asking for the new features you can start using
them, like search views or group_by that were introduced in 6.0, kanban views
in 6.1, but are not required until you need them.