Re: Development Changes in OpenERP 7.0

On 10/22/2012 04:23 PM, Michael Njoku wrote:
> I have been developing modules on openerp 6.1. I tried to install these modules
> on openerp 7.0 but i keep getting errors. Please can someone outline the
> changes that have been made to the module structure in 7.0 and how to upgrade
> your modules. Also is there a changelog for 6.1 to 7.0? Thank you.

Hi Michael,

The OpenERP 7.0 framework is close to 100% backwards compatible with 6.1
modules, except the web part. This means that models, views, actions should
work directly without changes, but the web parts (if you have defined your own
web widgets or web extensions) will need to be updated.

Of course the API of the business models that are provided by core modules
(account, sale, crm, etc.) has evolved like for every major OpenERP version.
So if your module is strongly coupled with some core features (e.g. it inherits
core views or overrides methods), then you will need to double-check all these
"extension points" and update them accordingly.
One of the biggest changes in this area is the merge of res.partner.address and
res.partner models.

We will publish soon a release notes document that gives a comprehensive list
of all the functional and technical areas that have received changes in 7.0,
and the new features that have appeared.

For more details, see also my answer to a similar question on the framework
mailing-list:
  https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-expert-framework/msg00937.html

Cheers,