Re: Install Decision

Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for your valuable insights. I have included my
answers below.

2013/4/23 Michael Telahun Makonnen <mmakonnen@xxxxxxxxx>:
[...]
> Building on the work of others allows me to code only those
> functionalities that my customers need without having to build the
> entire stack myself.
>
> What I've said so far can apply to any Open Source project or ERP.  The
> reason that I use OpenERP specifically is because for me it has the best
> balance of "complex enough to be useful", but also "easy enough to
> customize for specific need"s.  Part of this is the architecture of
> OpenERP itself, and part of it is also the nature of the Python language
> itself.

This is exactly why I am looking at OpenERP myself.

[...]
> I can understand your concerns about this point. I don't much like it
> myself, but we're talking about an ERP system here.  It is such a
> complex beast that I can't honestly see any organization that has done
> any non-trivial customization to OpenERP upgrading with every release.
> So, for me this is not a deal-breaker.
Aren't you concerned that at the current speed of OpenERP development,
if you want to upgrade from e.g. a v6 module to a v8 or v9 version,
you practically have to start from scratch? In my experience with
other fast paced projects (Linux kernel, Android ... etc.) it actually
costs less to maintain your custom developments continuously on the
"trunk" / mainline branch, than trying to catch up, when you need it.

[...]
> For myself I can only say that despite its failings I will continue to
> use OpenERP for the foreseeable future because it offers a good
> foundation as an ERP for SMEs, but it is also easy enough to customize
> for an organization's needs with *very little effort*.  That last part
> is very important for me.
This is very important to me as well.

Thanks,
Gergely