Re: Install Decision

Dear Fabien,

Thank you for all the interesting information.

2013/4/26 Fabien Pinckaers <fp@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
[...]
> One thing we will do to improve this is to publish our internal project
> management so that everyone can follow our tasks. (we are working on
> implementing the OpenERP portal on our own branch)

I think this will be very welcome by the whole community.

>> From my experience working with other Open Source projects you should
>> *never* rely on planned features in trunk.  Use the latest public
>> release as your starting point and work from there. It's much easier to
>> port features from trunk to your stable branch than trying to work with
>> a continuously moving target that developers aren't interested in
>> keeping polished for every day use.  This applies to all projects, not
>> just OpenERP.
>
> I confirm. You should never start a project on the trunk branch.
>
> Even if the new features may look promising, you should not rely on
> them. We can change our priorities from one-day to another, we may not
> merge a feature that we developed if it did not passed our code/quality
> reviews, etc.

I assumed, that the trunk / mainline contained only features, that
passed code review and some level of qa, and that only features are
merged that are planned for the next release. So if someone wants to
maintain a module in the long term, and make it available for the next
major version of OpenERP the day it is released, then he has to follow
the trunk. The other alternative is to only start upgrading the
modules when the beta versions or even the final version is released.

Obviously, for implementation projects I totally agree that one has to
start from a stable version.

[...]
> You should read this, it explains deeply why we think this is the best
> model:
>   http://bit.ly/openmodel
>
> Read at least these two sections in the above link:
>   - How does OpenERP see the relationship with the Community ?
>   - Why does the Community need Partners, Customers and the Publisher?

I did, thank you for the pointer.

[...]
> I understand it can be very frustrating, but it's necessary to ensure a
> clear direction in the product.
I don't have a problem with heated debate, or technical disagreements.

I just mentioned this issue, because the end result seemed to be:
- the official OpenERP branches going one way
- there will be an ocb-* like branch that goes the other way,

and the two will not be compatible, with no easy migration path
between them. Maybe this has changed already, and everyone is united
under the official solution, but this was my impression when I wrote
the previous mail.

Best Regards,
Gergely

--