Re: real-time OpenERP implementation strategy - comments?

Dale,

What Nhomar means is that it is almost always better to interact with
OpenERP objects than it is to operate at the database level. When an object
is created through OpenERP's ORM (object relational mapping), OpenERP
applies some business logic and additional constraints that don't occur at
the database level. Without using this business logic, it can be easy to
enter data that is not in a consistent state---in OpenERP this manifests
itself as frequent and rather cryptic errors.

Using a scripting language to enter data into OpenERP will let you use the
ORM to ensure that your data is consistent. This is the XML-RPC interface
that Nhomar mentioned, and is almost certainly the preferred method.

You can see examples of what such a script might look like here:
https://doc.openerp.com/6.0/developer/6_22_XML-RPC_web_services/

Hope this helps,
Brendan