Re: real-time OpenERP implementation strategy - comments?

On 2013-08-05 22:28, Dale Scott wrote:

> By custom, do you mean a custom third party module?  Are there any
> you would recommend? Or do you mean a custom module I write?

One you write, or have written for you. There are third party ETL tools
like Kettle which can do the job in theory, but I've not found one I
would recommend.

> I watched "OpenERP 7 - Import data using XML-RPC and Python Script "
> from OpenERP Consulting
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh6swXRYns&list=PLdwc-_Ljcrkovnrn_aE7bbbrmPacloADt&index=1).
> Is this procedure the typical method?

I can't watch youtube but XML-RPC is the preferred method for accessing
OpenERP from an external program. In python you would read your source
data and bend it into shape, then write it to OpenERP with XML-RPC calls.

> BTW, I'm using MySQL for legacy data only due to familiarity. I'd
> like to use PostgreSQL eventually, but at least it's consolidated in
> one place for now.

Watch out you don't invest too much effort in your MySQL thing that you
then have to relearn or rewrite when you switch.

PostgreSQL's Foreign Data Wrappers could potentially solve this whole
problem. It promises to allow you to 'federate' all your existing
databases into one virtual database with your preferred schema.
You wouldn't have to export any data to CSV, it would appear as a table
in Postgres, perhaps even a table that OpenERP could use directly.
I don't know how much of this can be achieved in practice yet, but it
looks like the Holy Grail for your situation.
http://www.pgcon.org/2011/schedule/events/353.en.html

Martin