Re: Anyone playing with OpenERP CMS branch trunk-website-al ?

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Mario Arias <the.clone.master@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone please provide details on what is needed to try
> trunk-website-al branch?
>
> I tried to run it as normal trunk branch, but got a "Not Found" response
> instead of the create database wizard...

Hello Mario,

Well that's strange because at least it's running on Runbot.
So for instance you can take a live demo of the ecommerce here
http://trunk-website-al-20254.runbot.openerp.com/?
there are a couple of error messages if you try to access things while not
logged. But if you login admin/admin you can shop or access the backoffice.
So it's seems to work, I'm not sure why you can that error. You can check
with runbot here http://runbot.openerp.com/ if you are wiring the right
branches together.

NB: as a side note, I'm working on similar web enabling technology for
OpenERP: web interface for OpenERP using Twitter Bootstrap, targeting
ecommerces and other portal applications. While Antony's branch took the
decision to do all using Backbones like Javascript (like OpenERP POS), my
take has been to use Rails standards as much as possible, even things like
simple_form (forms for Bootstrap) and use unobstrusive Javascript only at
the end optionally. People interested in my work on the other side can
follow the OOOR, OOOREST, AKTOOOR and ERPIFY projects on our Github account
https://github.com/akretion
I would defend my choice for the following reasons:

   1. it scales just like Rails (unlike a relational database with a
   borderline transactional ORM). For instance, the web site I'm building uses
   Apache SolR as a big data backend for anonymous navigation
   2. it's standard just as Rails. Even pagination or translation are
   regular gems maintained on their own
   3. Ruby is a nice language isn't? Wait, would one claim Javascript is
   better? #flamewar
   4. As reminder I have no data duplication either, it's just like a Rails
   web-client for OpenERP. Eventually have layers of smart caching, again
   using standards such as any Moneta backends.
   5. having HTML first and Javascript only then is good for SEO
   6. You get a web framework layer free from AGPL contamination (all my
   gems are released under MIT- license with no catch) (my understanding is
   that your backend is still submitted to the AGPL contamination and as such
   we publish or backend modules just as before)
   7. Regarding the CMS part, it's also a rock solid and sexy layer
   maintained on its own side (more to come).

But I'm sure we will find possible synergies in the backend with what
OpenERP SA is doing for v8. In any case, things like Magento or Prestashop
and co aren't any exemplar either in term of scalability, so there is
probably still room for that OpenERP integrated ecommerce.

In any case, interesting things are coming around.

Best regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant