Re: XML files indent style standard

On 2013-11-07 13:45, Niels Huylebroeck wrote:

we use the attached scripts - pls look into xmlformat where the xslt is placed

argument against:
* multiline grep for split lines necessary - which might not exist
* makes a huge commit if run on all xml

ferdinand

2013/11/7 Nicolas Bessi <nicolas.bessi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:nicolas.bessi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hello,

    I'm in favour of 2 spaces.

    A space will always be a space, tab display may vary.

Yes, precisely my point, the guy editing the file can choose how wide he wants it to display.

Also, a space is NOT always the same :

  2 spaces in front
    4 spaces in front
  2 spaces in front
    4 spaces in front

Oopsie !

The argument becomes invalid when using tabs. Tabs indicate one deeper level of indentation.
The only problem I can forsee is with continuation lines.

<field name="a_very_long_name" invisible="some_insanely_long_condition" domain="[(are_you_sure_you_want,'=','to_use_these_long_domains')]">

<field name="a_very_long_name"
    invisible="some_insanely_long_condition"
domain="[(are_you_sure_you_want,'=','to_use_these_long_domains')]">

How deep do you indent your next child element then ? I'm not saying tabs are the ultimate solution but it avoids a few critical ones.

Regards,
Niels