Re: Giving credits to module contributors

Yes we can do that for now,

but my opinion is that more and more open source is a socially distributed
activity and a single AUTHORS.txt file badly captures this reality over the
time and badly reward the mass of occasional contributors. Worse it doesn't
reward joining such an established project.

Take Rails statistics fro instance http://contributors.rubyonrails.org/
there are around 1300 contributors with 5 commits or less. There are
certainly tons of bugfixing and features that are due to these anonymous
heroes.

For OpenERP to be a successful project we should absolutely make it
attractive for anybody to get their little piece in. And there is mostly no
money transfer involved in that knowledge construction, so rewarding by
making contributors explicit is quite important in fact ('course developers
should pay their bill, just telling that usually a bugfix or a contrib
isn't for direct money, it's the byproduct of some service to somebody and
contributor reputation is ideally the marketing of that open source
economy).

So IMHO we should also tend toward just counting the commits and making it
clear (what Github is great at). It's hard to cheat because it's had pretty
good balance forces:

   1. breaking down large works in small atomic commit is generally
   encouraged
   2. if a contributor is purposely trying to cheat the system by making
   too small useless commits just to get higher numbers (hey there was a fake
   user spreading FUD on help.openerp.com last week so never underestimate
   parasitism risks), he will simply not get his commit accepted by the peer
   review.
   3. if the peer review transforms into a controlling mafia, then a fork
   just happens

I think part of the solution could be mirroring on Github or moving later
to Github.
For instance, in the Brazilian localization we were tired to see nobody
contributing and we where thinking Launchpad wasn't attractive for the
occasional contributor. We moved to Github, and here is how the
multi-author projects looks like: yes Akretion made 95% of the commits, but
the occasional contributors still are rewarded over the guys that
contribute nothing:
https://github.com/openerpbrasil/l10n_br_core/graphs/contributors
(but still to early to tell if we have more contribs with Github)

BTW, here is how looks OCB addons by contributor:
https://github.com/akretion/openerp-addons/graphs/contributors
but this one is badly flawed: many 3rd party merge have been badly crafted
with author lost in the middle. And many OpenERP SA employees don't have
their Github account claiming their committer email properly (skipped in
the graph then). So it just gives you and idea how it could be, but it's
nothing real for the OpenERP project yet.

Regards.