Re: Fwd: OpenERP CMS: How is server separation implemented?

> From: W. Martin Borgert:
> In an ERP you have much more data than only that.
There is a lot of data that should never, ever be on a publically accessible
server, such as employees contract data or their illness times. A public web
shop should only have the necessary data on the server.

This was probably true many years ago, but I can assure you that in a market
like the USA and many others, the vast majority of SMBs are outsourcing
their payroll to HR service providers like ADP, Trinet, and hundreds of
others who take care of not only payroll but employment contracts, time
off,... All these HR service providers provide a web application (ie.
portal) for their customers to process all this, which is as a matter of
fact sitting somewhere on a server that is accessible over the internet with
just a login and password. In terms of private data, I don't think it gets
more critical than payslips and employment contracts. But this accessibility
is a necessity. It's just where the future of management software is headed.
__
Fabrice Henrion