Re: Branch Saas and stable 7.0

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Yannick Buron <yannick.buron@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Dear OpenERP Community,
>
> As we can see on launchpad, theses days a new saas-3 branch has been
> created by OpenERP SA, following their process described here :
> http://help.openerp.com/question/36712/what-is-the-
> difference-between-trunk-saas-1-and-saas-2-versions-in-launchpad/.
>
> My concern is, I need to use a feature which is actually only available in
> the saas branch, the recurring invoicing. I'm using actually the OCB
> branchs for this project.
>
> I'd like to know if the publication of this saas-3 means that the stable
> 7.0 will also be updated, either with the code from saas-2 branch or
> saas-3. In general, is the position of OpenERP SA to update the stable
> branch with features from saas from time to time or do we have to wait for
> the next major version (here V8) to get the early features which are in
> Saas?
>
> Thank you for your opinions, following them I'll decide either to go on
> Saas branch or wait for stable 7.0 (and then upgrade to OCB branch when
> it'll be updated). If you know a good community module which allow the
> recurring invoices (And please, not subscription module :) ), this could
> also allow me to stay on OCB branch.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yannick Buron.

Hello Yannick,

during this period of time when OpenERP trunk is said to be too unstable to
be deployed outside of a SaaS, my advise is to use git-subtree to extract
key features as individual modules that can be backported alone without too
much effort (pre-pended in your addons-path then). For instance, I think
this is absolutely the case with recurring invoice while it wouldn't be
reasonnable for quant based stock management.

I explained the idea and gave 2 examples here of such backport. Please
don't hesitate to suggest pull request if you see room for improvement or
re-synch with upstream.
https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-community/msg04122.html

Again, I'm all behind sticking with bzr with OCA and core of OpenERP, right
now, it's just that I think git is so much more appropriate for these
synchronized extractions.

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi