Re: v8 bank statement reconciliation

Hello,

I don’t have a lot of time to explain so I will give you the answer in a nutshell:

-          Yes, there is a limitation in OpenERP in the fact that you cannot create a bank statement based on journal entries (ie. customer payments, supplier payments, checks, any money transaction…). It is a limitation and not an omission as several people might believe – we didn’t “forget” it – because OpenERP had been initially designed to take care of the bank statement creation and the payment record in only 1 step to make things more efficient/fast, which is an innovative concept. However, this doesn’t work for everybody for various reasons (I will not go in the details of this).

-          Independently from the point above, bank statement reconciliation also requires some usability improvements. (Did someone say green bullets?)

-          These improvements for bank statement reconciliation are acknowledged (I think) but not planned for v8. There are a couple of community modules trying to improve this like the one of Novapoint or the one of WillowIT.

-          In a different topic, I designed account_deposit and it has nothing to do with bank statement reconciliation. The purpose of account_deposit is to handle deposit tickets, which is needed for any form of payment that can be grouped before hitting your bank account. It can be the case with cash, checks, credit cards,... (not with wire transfers). Without going in the details, it’s a way to record that the $6,000 line on your bank statement corresponds to the sum of a $1000, a $2000, and a $3000 payment from different customers for different invoices. That is 3 invoices, 3 payments, and 1 statement line. In order to record this correspondence between the 3 payments and the 1 statement line, you need a new object (a deposit ticket which is an actual business document) that is introduced by this module. The spec is here: http://is.gd/IbL4X1

Best,

__
Fabrice Henrion
Director Americas