Re: report_webkit future

Would it not be more appropriate to simply allow easier definition of html
rendering functions / modules ?
This way you can have one model (ir.actions.report.xml) (oh, an old name
:-) which could define two fields (instead of the current single type
field):
* rendering engine
    converting from source file and applying data model
* output format
    'pdf', 'html', 'xls', '...'

Any number of module can add either a rendering function or an output
format perhaps it's also convenient to convene on an single fixed
intermediate model (such as html would be fine for now I presume).
Otherwise one would have to define which output formats can be used on
which sort of output from the rendering engine.

Right now we have these reporting solutions:
* rml
* xml/xsl
* webkit (v7 is mako->html->pdf, trunk is jinja2->html->pdf)
* aeroo (odt -> odt (with data) -> xls/doc/odt/pdf)

You can see each of them have a source file (covered in
ir.actions.report.xml by report_file)
Not all of them have the same intermediate file (aeroo can however have
html as final out afaik)
We should be able to do something smarter with the current landscape than
just throwing out working modules especially since every reporting engine
so far each has it's own set of missing features.

Regards,
Niels