Re: How will price per user really work?

On Mon, May 19, 2014 8:10 pm, Alan Lord wrote:
> A nice selling point of Open Source systems, that we use sometimes (only
> with other solutions now), is that *everyone* in a company can use the
> system without the company having to pay loads of unnecessary license
> fees:
>
> * Anyone who answers the phone can look up a customer who is calling in,
> * At peak times of the year you can bring in contract/temporary staff
> and they can access whatever is appropriate for their job,

Open Source is not about the licence fees, you go down the proprietary
path for that.  We want to provide a solution that is free from the
proprietary fees that limits the number of people or the way that they can
use the software.

I can't imagine that we'd be overly keen on going with that new
partnership/costing model, thankfully as it is open source we can still
use it for ourselves and clients, make changes and contribute those
changes back to the community.

> Frankly, I don't know why OpenERP s.a. don't just close the the source
> of their product and be done with it. The way it looks to me right now
> it might as well be and as Fabien said, "Our customers don't choose Odoo
> beause it's open source."...

The company I work for certainly wouldn't have looked at it if it wasn't
Open Source.  As a company that develops and delivers Open Source
solutions, Open Source is a key part of our business plan.  We don't sell
or develop proprietary solutions.

> Oh and Odoo is a pretty stupid name; I still can't say it out loud
> without laughing ;-)

Weird name, but there are other weird names out there.  It'll be something
to get used to.  Renaming the product does make some sense because when
pushing 'an ERP solution' at someone that just wants a HR solution one
needs to overcome the whole 'ERP, that'll be expensive right?'.

I'm assuming/hoping that that 'more O the better' is tongue in check,
because it'd be pretty silly to be really doing that .. we certainly won't
be promoting that to potential clients.

Cheers,
Ian