Re: Transition to GitHub

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Nhomar Hernández <nhomar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yes we'll create similar labels, this will be defined soon and the process explained on the wiki.
>>
>> Cfr https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition#bug-reports
>
> Ok.
> I got it.
>
> Labels are created I think:

The labels still need some updates along with some documentation in
the wiki, as we should take this opportunity to update/simplify the
process.
We'll also use special labels for pull requests.

In terms of process we'd like to put a much stronger focus (and
resources) on processing pull requests than bugs, because PRs usually
contain more direct value for the product.
If a bug is important there is also a good chance that someone will
quickly write a patch for it, so that works both ways.

If we combine GitHub's one-click merge with the ability to tag commits
with CI status (runbot/travis), that should make life easier for
reviewers, and we hope to be able to merge simple PRs quickly.
Of course this means that even more than before, the best way to have
a bug looked at/solved is to fix it and make a PR.

> What I can't see if if we will have a "driver" team as in Launchpad to help the mark of the bugs, because I see like I don't have the correct ACL to mark bugs as I had in Launchpad (because I was part of the fdriver team I think):
>
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxB2ZgxMIR5MS3ZQVXhBVlMxSEU/edit?usp=drivesdk
>
> Even creating my own bug it is not possible add a pre-selected label:
>
> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxB2ZgxMIR5MSXd3QXc3bFA5LWc/edit?usp=drivesdk
>
> Did I miss something or we lost this capability?

GitHub's bug tracker does not seem to have the necessary flexibility
at the moment.
We initially thought of putting the issues in a separate repository
for this reason, but it was creating other problems (references, etc.)
and making things even more confusing.
Anyone can comment on bugs and PRs, though, so it is possible to help
sorting out everything.