Re: Buildout recipe nearing release, needs test, and odoo

Hi David,

thanks for your insight.

I don't have much time before next week to go into details, but I can
for once be short :
I tend to consider zc.buildout as a lower layer that tools such as
Ansible could in turn use.

As a hint towards that, the playbook you link to below cares mostly
about stuff that Odoo buildouts leave to the system admin, whereas the
odoo-itself command is just getting odoo mainline from Github [1]

So to speak, buildout defines the edge of the application, and Ansible
(or Puppet or Fabric [2]) could take care of deploying in a concrete,
given system. Same is true of the deployment scripts we use on Anybox
servers.

I don't know Ansible, but I've heard good things about it (lightweight,
easy to grasp, notably), but I wonder if you could convince a hosting
company

And btw, on a personal note, I dislike the predominance of INI format
(could rant for hours about that) and would indeed prefer very much
zc.buildout to be based on YML.

Regards,

[1] that's also the example I gave, I know, but it's not representative
of a real-life project where use of buildout is meaningful
[2] just examples based on different principles