Re: OCA: transition from Launchpad to Github

HI,

I am also in favor of an earlier migration to github. We are a community,
and as such I would like to avoid introducing processes and tools that
would be specific OCA. The greater part of us probably have enough
experience to continue with both systems and even if IMHO it will introduce
a lot of unnecessary complexity. However, if we want to remain / become an
attractive and open community that can only be done if we use the tools of
the community based on non-specific process to OCA.

How to explain to a new contributor that he must know launchpad to
contribute to OCA modules in 7.0 and  Github for 8.0?
Are our employers willing to bear the cost of training launchpad and
github? Not to mention the specific processes introduced by OCA to support
this duality ...

If OCA remains on launchpad while Odoo is on github, I feel we may see a
large number of OCA modules migrated to Github outside the control of OCA
because people simply find it easier to have everything on Github and will
want to avoid further invest in launchpad.

One last point, I am one of those who blames Odoo not always follow
community practices whether in terms of formatting code (pep8) or in the
packaging of addons (python eggs). At the transition from launchpad to
github, I'd avoid that OCA introduce its own processes and tools to support
both systems simultaneously.

I think if we do not choose now to migrate everything to Github, it will
never be possible.

My 2 cents,

lmi

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Info SHS-AV <info@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 23/06/2014 12:58, Lorenzo Battistini ha scritto:
>
> On 06/23/2014 11:16 AM, Joël Grand-Guillaume wrote:
>
>    Hi,
>

>  First thank you for your feedback. About the LP -> Github migration. The
> main arguments in favor of keeping v 6.1 and 7.0 on LP and mirror on Github
> is that we do have lot's of reviews in progress. It'll be difficult to
> maintain reviews on LP if the master is Github.
>

>  +1
>
> We could follow the same approach as OpenERP SA:
> https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition
>
> About merge proposals
> <https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition#merge-proposals>,
> the page says:
> *Whenever such a MP is merged it will be forwarded to GitHub using this
> script.*
> But that link doesn't take to the script.
>
> Does anybody know such a script?
>
> --
> Lorenzo Battistini

> Antonio M. Vigliotti
> (Presidente & Chief Technical Officer)
>

> *SHS-AV s.r.l. (impresa innovativa) zeroincombenze® *
>
> Via Domodossola, 64 - 10145 TORINO - ITALY
>
> Tel. (+39) 011.0566929(2)
>
> www.shs-av.com
>
> PEC shs-av@xxxxxxxxxxxx

*Laurent Mignon*