How are you dealing with time zone issues on datetime fields

Hi,

We are very interested in knowing how are you, partners and community
members, dealing with timezone issues on datetime fields, at least in the
most common case where customers have all their operations in one single
time zone...

Have you hard-coded the time delta in defaults and filters, created patches
to base modules handling datetime domains, created extra DATE only fields
to avoid the issue, replaced DATETIME fields with DATE ones, or what ?

For those that haven't taken the time to check, currently Odoo/OpenERP
doesn't produce accurate results when you use filters or generate reports
based on datetime fileds...

Reports for same day will show different results depending on the local
time you generate them, some record from previous or next day will be
included in today's results while others will be excluded, ....

If your time zone is GMT-5:00, create one POS order before 19:00 (local
time) and then one after 19:00.  Then run the Sales Details report and be
surprised... Want even more surprises...  then do this for two days and
launch the report in different times of the day...   you will see it
changing results...  !!   Great, isn't it ???   ;-)

Please, share your experiences here.

On our side, we have it all working now, just by fixing original Odoo
modules...

What we did:

   - Define context_to_utc_timestamp, inverse function to
   context_timestamp...  PR : https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/2914
   - Update PR #2776 from Holger, to use "context_to_utc_timestamp" instead
   of "context_timestamp"
   - For filters in views, use domain tuples like
   ('date','<=',context_today().strftime('%%Y-%%m-%%d').  This is
   important, as filter date should be based on user's context.  Also
   important, do NOT add time part, as this will be handled by previous PR to
   match user's timezone !!
   - If you want time deltas, then use something like
   (context_today()+relativedelta(days=-1)).strftime('%Y-%m-%d')
   - Finally, if you need "replace", it is not defined for dates.  We made
   a PR for that too...  https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/2915

Using previous fixes, results are both CONSISTEN  and CORRECT from user's
point of view, while still being saved as UTC timestamps, as long as all
records come from the same time zone...

If you need results to be consistent across different time zones, then you
can only do it by defining new DATE only fields and filter on them...

So, as long as OpenERP S.A. doesn't provide an official way to really FIX
this problem, we can at least keep our customers happy...

Regards,
-Mario

Follow ups