Re: trunk layout

On 30/06/10 10:25, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> @Jay : Review: Needs Fixing
>
> Hello,
>
> <button name="195" type="action" string="Re-Open" states="paid"
> icon="gtk-convert"/>
>
> I layout_trunk I mainly moved fields around - so this is another issue.
>
> it was possible to merge at the time I last modified the branch.

I believe those numeric button names have been in your branches forever,
I think I remember them from the community days workshop.

Even it's that's not the best API designed, the name of a button (with
type=action) must *resolve* to the id of an action at the time of module
installation, but it may not be *hardcoded* to the id of an action
(which is database-dependent).

So the above could rather look like:
   <button name="%(action_account_state_open)d" type='action' ...

I suppose you ended up with these numeric values by exporting the views
from a live DB instead of modifying the source XML files.

This error and similar ones are visible if you look carefully at the
diff of the merge proposal:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-commiter/openobject-addons/chricar_trunk_layout/+merge/24656

Maybe someone from the community can help Ferdinand fix these problems,
seeing all the +1 replies? ;-)

~

As for merging (as already discussed), even ignoring the above, it is a
difficult task because you have modified many different modules ; not
just views but also python code in sales, accounting, etc.

You have done a huge and very interesting job on usability, but
unfortunately this makes the process of reviewing and merging much
harder (1000+ lines diff that need to be reviewed by different roles).

Important note to all those in the community that also maintain huge
branches and would like to see them merged easily in trunk: look at the
contribution guidelines and create several small feature branches (even
with dependencies between them), so they can all be proposed, reviewed
and merged separately. Nothing forbids you then from having your
personal central branch where you have them all merged.

~

Final word: yes, it may take some more time but our usability team will
be reviewing your proposal for inclusion in v6, even partial if we
cannot directly merge your branch for the above reasons.
We have to consider everything, and most importantly the focus in v6 on
the simplification of screens.

I hope this answers some of your questions...