Re: Fixed Assets Management in OpenERP 6

 Hi there,

First of all, I would like to give credit to the initiators (c2c) and
the improver (gg) for their work BEFORE I took over!

I have a few comments/questions... see below

regards,
Bogdan

On 27. 04. 11 01:49, Graeme Gellatly wrote:
> Hi Cristian,
>
> Will most definitely test this.
>
> Stock and assets are to my mind completely different beasts.
I agree. We should investigate how much (if at all) they should work
together. for the time being, in order to create an asset, there are two
processes:
new acquisition: invoice (select "existing" product) > register the line
as asset > the asset is automatically created in the account_asset tables.
existing (now yet working): asset> new> create asset from existing product.

TODO: somehow block the FA from being listed in the stock. Maybe
products should bear a label [asset] which takes them out from the circuit.

> Typically the person moving or disposing the asset would have no
> knowledge of stock moves, and possibly even security rights to do so.
> I feel they are irrelevant for asset management, although I am not
> sure what would happen at the delivery end of a PO, maybe a stock
> location is needed to transfer from inwards goods to a virtual
> location such as fixed assets, or just order directly to fixed assets
> location which has the appropriate GL accounts defined.  (Just
> thinking out loud here)
yes and no:-) the new purchased/stocked product would (i think) go the
"normal" way up to when its status changes into a FA (they should no be
registered as such untill they are used, maybe). THEN, I agree, they
become a different "beast". However, the locations can be the same. e.g.
a PC used by the store manager can be located in the warehouse, close to
stock.

> Another idea for asset location may be to use a partner (company or
> employee) address for main location, and then possibly a many2one or
> char field for localisation at that location, e.g. 2nd floor, or
> printer room.  That link to employee could be especially useful for IT
> Equipment and Vehicles when it comes to the HR exit process.
i agree, however, the locations still could remain standard (think about
double data, double input, too) and additional info stored in the FAM
module OR in the corresponding modules (car fleet management, HW
management, and so on) which do not need to be linked to FAM, as this
module (FAM) is essentially an accounting module, no car fleet admin
needs to know the depreciation level of his cars...

maybe it is a good idea to keep things simple...