Re: Fixed Assets Management in OpenERP 6

On 28. 04. 11 12:26, paulino1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a proposal for an enhancement, that is the possibility to
> compute depreciation according to two different schemes - a legal or
> fiscal one and an internal one.
> In my country there is a fiscal depreciation scheme and an accounting
> one that may differ for many categories of assets. This feature will
> also be useful for companies with activities in different countries,
> so the affiliate company can have depreciation according to local
> rules and another one according to the home-company's rules for the
> purpose of consolidation.
this is a good point! we shall look at it! it might need some deep
changes, but sooner or later it will show its usefulness, in my opinion.

> About the connection with account_move_line I think that there can be
> performance issues with the actual design if one have many assets and
> monthly depreciation moves.
you might be right, but it look to me as a theoretic "threat". let's
agree that if one has THAT many assets, he certainly has much more
invoices, etc, so proportions would be still ok. however, i agree that i
did not test such a scenario. still, I would say that speed is not (yet)
a strength overall, in this system!

> Not only the asset module can become slow, but also all reports and
> charts that are based on account_move_line.
> An alternate approach would be to have an asset_move table, and export
> to account_move_line the aggregate values by asset categories (or by
> GL account) and by period.

could be an option, if we find the above discussion to be a serious issue...

> Thank you
> Paulino Ascenção

thank you,