Openerp accounting constraints module -> ideas?

Dear All,

Our experience with accounting on OpenERP shown us that the system is, today, not trustable enough since it allows user to do many mistakes.Â

So, at Camptocamp, we plan to create a module for (v5 and v6.1) adding constraints to Openerp accounting in the core source code ;  we want, at the same time, to stick as much as possible to the standard so anyone will be able to install it on top of a standard configuration.

In other word, our goal is to press on very few buttons...but, if possible, the right ones :)Â

Here are the first set of ideas we have gathered :

* Account :Â
- For Openerp v5 only, forbid to modify the type to 'view' if journal entries have been already posted on this account.
#OK

- Forbid to modify the code of an account if journal entries have been already posted on this account.
# DISPUTABLE: restriction rather than improvement

* Reconcile
- Forbid the reconciliation between move lines if partner is not the same. # NO: we had situation, when one related company pays for another, this is functionality depreciation
- Forbid partner name duplication -> can generate errors on reconcile
# DISPUTABLE: can arise problems in e-commerce solutions when partners are generated from shopping carts - Force account with type 'recevable' or 'payable' to have a partner on journal entry
#OK

* Date/Period
- Forbid the possibility to post a journal entry on the wrong fiscal year in the core of the source code. #NO, not necessary if fiscal year is closed, otherwise it is not wrong fiscal year - Forbid the possibility to get date outside the periode : this flexibility given generates too many problems (ie: filters or journal entry posted on the wrong month or worst  wrong year). This features already exists (checkbox in journal) -> we want to hide this option. #NO NO NO, example is late received or lost invoices, should put them in current period, but with original dates in order to be consistent with partners accounting.
* Fiscal year
#ALL DISPUTABLE DIFFERS FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY
- Forbid the possibility to have more than 1 special period (=opening period)
- This special period must be one day only
- This special period must be on the very first day of the fy
####
*Closing fiscal year wizard
- Forbid to close a fy if : 1 - total debit <> total credit  2 - All previous fy are not closed 3 - All period in the fy must be closed 4 - All journal entries must be validated (already check in v6 when closing period but not in v5) #NO, closing not fixed fiscal year allows to avoid errors, such as entering accounting entry into wrong FY . We do not need to do this by accounting software itself. There are ACCOUNTANTS who should check, fix and close/open if necessary.

* Journal entries
- Forbid the modification / deletion on a automatic journal entries (ie: generated by an invoice, bank statement, voucher, cash,... ?) -NO, cause there are errors sometimes in bank statements etc. imports, it denies to fix them lately - Forbid to post any entries except on journals with type 'general' in order to force users to good practices (create invoices and use banks statement for ex.)
-NO, again best use practices should be taught not forced.

Of course, it has to be challenged and completed with new ideas so we count on your help.

Thank you all,

P.S. IHMO those all are minor accounting issues, it is better to focus efforts on more substantial issues, like modular configurable Payroll solutions, or decimal precision flaws, or sorting nightmares, when entries are sorted by default by id, not newest dates, or you need a third party modules to manage assets or expenses, or when Fiscal positions are ignored in some places or accounting not ready for international trade (no INCOTERMS), or no possibility to link landed transports costs when you receive them in one invoice from logistics company etc.

Normunds Vilcans
Alistek, Ltd

 <mailto:frederic.clementi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>