Re: On reporting systems for OpenERP

Hola!

Zyphos wrote:

> - Relatorio:
>     The main aim of Relatorio was to be used in a Open Source ERP,
>     OpenHexperience, but the ERP project is ended

Yes,  the project "OpenHexperience" is ended BUT Cédric Krier (cedk on
#openobject) is the new mantainer. Indeed he recently released a new
version after I asked him for image's size handling. He sent me a patch
in couple of days and then he released relatorio-0.5.2
(http://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com/pipermail/relatorio/2009-November/000027.html)

>> 1) You will never want to write "False" report. At least I propose a
>> boolean expression evaluated to False is always casted to "" in
>> reports by default. If you really want to print "False", then you
>> would need to explicitly tell it with something such as [[ not
>> my_expression and "False" ]]. No problem to make this a bit more
>> harder as this is very unlikely you would want that.
>> This change alone allows to change: [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id
>> and o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> or '' ]]
>> into: [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id and
>> o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> ]]
>>

>> 2) Expression evaluation could just break silently when trying to
>> browse some attribute from None/False
>> So instead of useless caution such as:
>> [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id and
>> o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> or '' ]]
>> you would rather just write:
>> [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> or '' ]]
>> if o.partner_shipping_id is False, then evaluation of the chain is
>> evaluated to False (so casted to "" if we have point 1), end of the
>> story, no exception, no hassle.
>>

>> Now, combine 1) and 2) together and you have:
>> [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> ]]  instead of
>> [[ o.partner_shipping_id.state_id and
>> o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name
>> <http://o.partner_shipping_id.state_id.name> or '' ]]
>>

>> Multiply that small win by all the occurrences of awkward Python
>> expressions in an average report and you pass from something that
>> sucks to something that is very user friendly.

I made a blueprint for this:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/report-openoffice/+spec/non-valued-fields

BTW: I consider the report machinery as a killer app (if we improve it,
of course ;) ) for Openobject/OpenERP thus, following the "teams'
structure" given by Raphaël, it could be useful to have a team for that.

>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM, Sharoon Thomas
>> <sharoonthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sharoonthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     RML: I doubt if its fast for bigger reports :(
>>
>>     I use open office reports: Its slow but a big advantage is WYSIWYG.

SLOW... is it more important to print it in 3/4 secs or to create it in
5 minutes? :)

>>     mako and cheetah can be used to generate html, txt, csv etc too.
>>     (XLS and ODT will be very indirect). Disadvantage: Extremely
>>     difficult to get it into a PDF
>>
>>     jasper reports: I love it, except for the Java dependency.
>>
>>     Can we also discuss about what happened to the BI? Will it be
>>     merged with trunk for 5.2?

Since Tiny delayed the freeze we should start discussing about it.

>>     On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Albert Cervera i Areny
>>     <albert@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:albert@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>         A Dilluns, 7 de desembre de 2009, Albert Cervera i Areny va
>>         escriure:
>>         > RML
>>         > Advantages: tightly integrated, python, fast.
>>         > Disadvantages: lacks a good designer

sxw -> RML > pdf (current OFFICIAL OpenERP report engine) as per our
experience is *unusable* for not schematic reports.

>>         >
>>         > OpenOffice
>>         > Advantages: designer, output in PDF and ODT

Wait! :)  it already support PDF, ODT and ODS, ODP and...
with the next release it will support HTML, DOC, RTF, TXT, XLS, PPT, SWF
and all the formats OOo supports ;)

>>         > Disadvantages: slow (not sure about that, please those with
>>         experience
>>         >  speak- up), depends on openoffice on the server

Honestly I never tried to print 100+ records but as I previously said
it's more important to me to create the template of the report in 5 mins
and not having to re-import it trough report_designer. Yes, this is a
useful feature you omitted ;) With report_oo you can edit the .odt and
use it instantly, as you save it! No need to reload it into the db.

Another "feature" you may consider is that you DON'T have to learn how
to use a new tool: most people know how to use OOo.

>>         > Cheetah
>>         > Advantages: python, fast
>>         > Disadvantages: no designer, HTML only
>>         >
>>         > Mako
>>         > Advantages: python, fast
>>         > Disadvantages: HTML only
>>         >
>>         > Jasper Reports
>>         > Advantages: designer, fast, output in (PDF, ODT, ODS, XLS,
>>         TXT, RTF, DOC)
>>         >  with  several levels of quality, though.
>>         > Disadvantages: java based

Probably I gave up too quickly but is not as user friendly as I thought.
And, again, you have to learn how to use the "nth tool" :(

--
Simone Orsi              simone.orsi<at>domsense.com
Via Alliaudi, 19 - 10064  -  Pinerolo (TO)  -  Italy