Re: User's documentation

A Dissabte, 12 de desembre de 2009, Simone Orsi va escriure:
> > For example, in the "res.partner.vat" case one would see:
> >
> > """
> > subjected  to the VAT. Used by the VAT legal statement

> > * .... The invoicing process won't work unless partner's vat field has a
> > correct value. ....
> > """
>
> I don't think it'd be a good idea to place extra info for fields into
> the docs. Fields have to be documented in the code.

So what's documentation for then? I'm just saying that given that in the
documentation there are references to specific fields, why not make those
references available from the field itself? I think current field help
information is just great and should be kept. I'm just proposing to improve
that.

Take this as an example. This text is extracted from [1]:
"""
a specific or a default payment condition can be defined for this partner in
the Sales & Purchases area of the partner form. Payment conditions are
generated by rules for the payment of the invoice. For example: 50% in 21 days
and 50% in 60 days from the end of the month.
"""

As you can see this fragment is extracted from the invoicing chapter but
refers to a field in the partner. With the proposed documentation system, the
documentation writer would do something like this:

"""
a specific or a default <field name="partner.payment_term_id">payment
condition</field> can be defined for this partner in the Sales & Purchases
area of the partner form. Payment conditions are generated by rules for the
payment of the invoice. For example: 50% in 21 days and 50% in 60 days from
the end of the month.
"""

Then, the documentation generator would convert that to some preconfigured
tags. Say:

"""
a specific or a default <i>payment condition</i> can be defined for this
partner in the Sales & Purchases area of the partner form. Payment conditions
are generated by rules for the payment of the invoice. For example: 50% in 21
days and 50% in 60 days from the end of the month.
"""

And add the cross reference to the corresponding table for the given field. Of
course, these preconfigured tags could be improved so that from within this
documentation is also possible to see the generic help of the field (the one
in the help="" parameter we add to fields in python).

[1] http://doc.openerp.com/book/3/3_7/invoicing.html#entering-a-customer-
invoice

--
Albert Cervera i Areny