Re: On reporting systems for OpenERP

2009/12/12 Simone Orsi <simone.orsi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hello Joël,
>
> On 12/09/2009 05:22 PM, Joël Grand-Guillaume wrote:
> > Hi Simone,
> >

> > It's true it's a bit difficult to dive into this module with "just" a
> first look :) ! But with some explanation, it became very clear ;)
>
> I see :) And it seems quite easy to implement a module for creating
> simple report trough the client since you have to call methods such as
> add_cell, add_column and so on. Isn't it?
>

> > The result of all "list" or "tree" report will just look like simple
> table, with different lines and levels, header will be grayed. Basically,
> you build a dict with values for each lines and columns, and the report
> engine do the rest (page numbering, report of header, cut too long
> sentences, indent etc...).
> >
> > The result of Gantt report is also very good but, doesn't work anymore
> for this removing of function from Tiny (ARGGGH !). You have barre of
> different size and colors representing "duration" data (like tasks), a
> scalable timeline in the X axe (like year, month and so), and on the right
> you give the "tree" structure (like project, or analytical account).
> >
> > It's true you need to "compile" the code and restart the server when you
> change something. But as I say, this reporting system is mainly  design to
> >
> > - Render listing with hard computation easily, without caring about RML
> stuff and things.
> > - Render tree structure easily
> > - Handle Gantt chart printing
> >
> > In those cases, you should probably restart the server also with RML
> report, because of all treatment you need.
> >
> > In case you're interested a bit more, feel free to ask..
>
> Thanks
>

> > Regards,
> >

> > Joël
> >
> > Le 9 déc. 2009 à 09:48, Simone Orsi a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi Joël,
> >>
> >> I never tested this module but I just skimmed quickly trough the code
> >> and it seems to me as powerful as unusable for human beings :D
> >>
> >> Jokes apart, how do you know what the result will be like?
> >>
> >> You have to compile the report every time you change it... or not?
> >>
> >> And, since it is a "python-report" you have to restart the server every
> >> time, isn't it?
> >>
> >> Cheers
>

> --
> Simone Orsi              simone.orsi<at>domsense.com
> Via Alliaudi, 19 - 10064  -  Pinerolo (TO)  -  Italy
> Mobile: (+39) 3475004046  -   Fax: (+39) 01214469718
> Domsense Srl                 http://www.domsense.com

Hi folks, i am agree with all about report engine, so the engine dont get a
problems for developers but in real-world for final users is not friendly,
we are investing about evaluating tools, now we are working with
jasper_report (thx Albert), but we really want to work only with python and
testing geraldo[1].

[1] http://geraldo.sourceforge.net/

--
Cristian Salamea