Re: selection field management and workflow management in the new api

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Houssine <houssine.bakkali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's planned to allow a easier way to add(and remove?) new entry in a
> field of the type selection(useful for adding new state through
> inheritance) with the new API?

Yes, although we don't have a specific proposal for that. Any
suggestion is welcome.

> For the workflow API, I think that it will simplify the workflow design
> and maintenance and improve the readability of a workflow in a xml
> editor to add a kind of pre and post function which can be defined in
> the properties of an activity.
>
> Some time we need to do some process before and after an activity. The
> only way to do it is to create some dummy and useless activity that just
> increase the heavyness of a workflow.
>
> Something like <field name="preprocess">prefunction()</field> and <field
> name="postprocess">postfunction()</field>
>
> Some use of the preprocess function could be validation of the given
> data or precomputation. For the post process, I see things like logging,
> history, notification, batch processing registration, call to other
> systems, delta files creation, etc...

As you say, you can achieve what you want with the existing
possibilities: add activities with trivial (True) transitions or make
the activity call the pre/post code.

Maybe you feel the workflow will be heavier but at least it remains
simple (fewer but more general abstractions are better).

Cheers,
Thu