Re: share addon with help text in action

Nhomar:
Be sure my intention is to contribute to the ecosystem, not to create any
conflict.
I am already a Ready Partner (NUMA Extreme System, located in Buenos
Aires), I am playing by the rules, and also pushing for a better OpenERP.
When I first met OpenERP, I was not running my company, and that's why I am
registered with my personal mail.
I have already made several implementations, with many extensions and
customized modules.

Perhaps my descriptions were not as good or extensive as needed, I am also
not a native English speaker

When I mentioned rich text, I meant the possibility to add enriched text
characteristics (as defined in your Wikipedia reference), like color, font
size o bold text. In no way I was referring to the private RTF format. In
the current state of things, almost all modern systems allows the user to
edit an introduce text with enriched characteristics. In particular sending
mails or making marketing campaigns preparing the templates in raw html
seems to be an artificial limitation today. There are many pretty good open
source javascript libraries providing enriched text editing, so updating
the web interface to provide this capability is something it seems
affordable and it will be very well appreciated by OpenERP end users. The
basic framework should support that for example any text defined field
could contain enriched text. Is a definition to be taken on the framework
and some code to be added to GUI.

OpenERP wiki module seems to be not used in the full potential it could
provide. It could be an extraordinary way to construct a customized
documentation system for OpenERP, but is treated today as a standalone
component with no special care in v6,1 (in fact the implementation of wiki
in v6.1 GUI is supporting less features than before, not even the demo
pages are fully supporting the features they describe). Putting static text
in our modules as the only way to document the system is a bit limited by
current standards (no formatting, no links, no control over presentation,
no media content, no possibility to have links to external/internal
content). If we put some effort in the discussion, we can find a better
solution taking the wiki module into account or any other foreseen method
to provide rich text information. Not to mention, how useful this could be
if we find a way to make it easy to extend and fix when you add your own
module to the system!.
For sure to construct an useful help system is a huge task. Even worse when
the system is a moving target, as an OpenERP system which can be deeply
modified by extension modules. So, let's uses our own OpenERP users to
construct the help system they will consume!
This apply also to tip customization based on current record's info.

>From my experience in the implementation of OpenERP systems, stack traces
are a very limited source of information for issue clearing. In the best
case, they indicate the operation to trigger to reproduce the fault, but
they are very limited without the current data info (something you can get
only with a debug session on server - something not always easy to achieve
in a running system) or at least and indication of the requested operation.
In many cases, they reflect problems in places very far away from the real
issue.
For sure consulting support people you could find many ways to improve this
situation (for example, recording the same information provided by a
debug_rpc_answer with the stack trace, and storing that info in a record
written to the database, that can be mailed to the support team or
consulted via external access the involved db). Many commercial systems
provide expanded trace information and internal logging capabilities.
Ideally, the method could be extended by adding some modules, just in case
someone find additional info useful. Again, something to implement on the
framework

Regarding editing content, I am now sure that using Autocad as an example
was misleading. What I meant by editable content is the possibility to
store some content, that when edited, to trigger an external program to
edit it and get the result back (via mime identification). Ideally this
data could be accesed and generated via method control, so for example this
editable binary field could contain some XML data generated on values
stored in records. Edited XML could be used back to adjust other field
values. XML could trigger from anything from standard programs (eg.
LibreOffice) to very customized applications
A lot of possibilities could be open combining OpenERP with other programs,
providing the user a tool to get advantage of all the applications
ecosystem he use to handle (not limited just to OpenERP). See the path
which many SAS suppliers are following (from SalesForce to Worketc). And
planning to the future, we should be able to think ahead of the current
state of the art!
Again, this is something to implement on the framework (perhaps extending
the current definition of binary fields) and providing the GUI with the
capability to trigger an external program (Something possible today) and to
collect back the edited information to be sent to database (something
currently not possible without the steps described in the first mail). The
example you provided is using different technics to interface using what is
provided today (you can see also what OpenPLM is doing, which by the way
was part of the partner meeting this month).

Running an open source project as big as OpenERP is not an easy job. For
sure you can find several examples on other projects where unbalanced
decisions has lead the whole community to crisis situations (loose of
momentum, breaks, divisions, dispersion or lack of dynamism). The community
out there is also struggling to live in this complex reality, and it is not
always easy to find the time and motivation to play the game of creating
internal momentum. Sometimes is a lot more work getting attention from
OpenERP S.A. than solving the problems. If this happens to often and in an
unbalanced way, the result will be just less people keep trying.

Pushing community to propose new solutions and having such a little
influence on decisions is unbalanced. Keeping planning of new versions as
obscure as today, is unbalanced
We all have to be aware that balance is important, and it is very easy to
believe we are always getting the worse part in the game.

Best regards, and many thanks for your extensive and careful answer

Gustavo Marino
www.numaes.com
gamarino@xxxxxxxxxx

El 25 de abril de 2012 23:21, Nhomar Hernández <nhomar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>escribió:

> [...]
> now for free we will help you, if you want to be SURE be heard for OpenERP
> take an OPW too (best choice)  AND mix both helps Community AND OpenERP
> Commercial One.
>

> If you want understand _a little bit_ better my POV please see this:
>
> About Business Model:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/nhomar/the-openerp-ecosystem-business-model
>
> About Community:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/tiny07/open-erps-community-organisation
>
> About HOW:
>
> *http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/contribute/index.html#how-to-contribute-link
>
> THANKS for share your POV, the good critics helps everybody grows up !
>
> PS: Sorry for my bad english.
> *
>

>> Best regards
>>
>> El 25 de abril de 2012 12:34, Olivier Dony <odo@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>>
>> Hi Viktor,

>>> action's
>>>
>>> The term "rewrote" makes me a little bit worried, as this should only
>>> require a
>>> small extension of the original module, right?

>>> if it's
>>> thought I'm
>>> contradictory
>>> created with
>>> menu_tips=False in
>>>
>>> Yes the menu tips were disabled on purpose for external users because
>>> the way
>>> they are written makes them targeted at normal users of the system. The
>>> tip
>>> itself will usually describe features that are not available to the
>>> external
>>> users, and as such it will be mostly misleading, useless at best. (BTW
>>> the
>>> majority of external users will have read-only access)

>>> not, then
>>>
>>> Your patch might certainly be useful for certain kinds of use, such as
>>> for
>>> companies who adapt the default tips in order to make them specifically
>>> helpful
>>> for external users. Was this the case for your customer?
>>>
>>> Perhaps you could publish this feature in a separate module on OpenERP
>>> Apps,
>>> with a clear note in the description that explains that this is not
>>> recommended
>>> with the default menu tips? I'm sure it would be useful for the
>>> community.

>>> exist is
>>> users are
>>> should
>>>
>>> It's certainly the case, but it seems to me that the default tips would
>>> be more
>>> misleading for these external users than no tip at all, wouldn't they?
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that the current strategy of OpenERP is to be as simple and
>>> intuitive as possible out-of-the-box, just by looking at the screens.
>>> This
>>> means we'd rather improve the UX to make it easier to understand at a
>>> for all users, than include more tips, descriptions and help in the