Re: share addon with help text in action

On 04/26/2012 06:05 PM, Viktor Nagy wrote:
> Sorry guys, but please, stay focused.
>
> My question is related exclusively to the share addon, and would like to get
> some feedback from Olivier or someone @ OpenERP, to be sure that I won't waste
> my energy.

Right ;-)

> The term "rewrote" makes me a little bit worried, as this should only
> require a small extension of the original module, right?
>
>> yes, it's definitely a minor extension, just a few lines

Good, so I imagine you could also put that in a separate module that simply
depends on the 'share' module and inherits the original share_wizard class to
provide this new feature, right?
This would presumably be a very small module because it does not need much
code, but this is the normal modular way of writing feature extensions (several
core addons only contain a few lines)

> What do you think?
>
>> My suggestion would be to show the help text for edit mode sharing, and
>> hide it for read-only access. As edit mode users need all the necessary
>> information, and usability (in my case) involves a custom tree/search/form
>> view, showing them a custom help text is natural and is definitely a minor
>> task compared to creating all the views.

We originally thought of copying menu tips for read-write sharing only, but
decided against it as a bit counter-intuitive (a hidden special case).
And even if we had done it, the tooltips in a vanilla install would still refer
to related-but-not-accessible concepts. So we'd still prefer this to be an
extra feature, not enabled by default.

An alternative would have been to add an extra option in the share wizard
("Share tooltip"?) that would only be visible in advanced mode. But that
carries its own lot of questions to solve: what if the user who is sharing does
not have tooltips currently enabled : should we display them so she can be sure
what is being copied? And what if the destination user already exists and has
tooltips disabled? This is starting to break KISS principles at the UI level,
and let's not even mention the implementation level, as you certainly noticed.
Ideally we want this feature to be by default as simple as the "Share" option
in Google Documents.

> On the other hand, I don't like the separate addon idea, as it would share
> 99% of the share addon's features, and to maintain such a small change for
> future versions, errr .. to me the biggest benefit of open source
> development is contributing to the trunk. This way I feel assured that my
> code will be running even years later, and I don't like to change core
> addons and publish them separately from the core.

Sorry if my previous email was not clear, I was not suggesting you fork the
whole 'share' module, but simply make a small extension for it in a separate
module (say, "share_tooltips"), as explained above. This is really the clean
and recommended way of extending core modules in a modular manner, and should
only require a minimum amount of maintenance, as the API of the share_wizard is
reasonably stable.
BTW, if the current API makes it difficult for you to cleanly extend it in a
minimalist way, we will welcome any merge proposal that improves it, e.g. by
splitting large methods in smaller ones (just be sure to keep it backwards
compatible).

I hope this clarifies my previous suggestions...