*From:* Raphael Valyi [mailto:rvalyi@xxxxxxxxx]
*Sent:* Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:43 PM
*To:* Ray Carnes
*Cc:* openerp-expert-framework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [Openerp-expert-framework] Making our way out from the
bloated extra-addons repository

Hello Ray,

inline answers:

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Ray Carnes <rcarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Raphael,

Why does changing a module name make code comparison challenging?  I don’t
understand.  Why does it deprecate documentation?

Because you cannot just do diff -r folder1 folder2 anymore if folder name
changed.

Hopefully inside the VCS, things are still comparable, but easily you'll be
in trouble when comparing files when the VCS won't all do it for you.

As for documentation, ideally to be productive documentation and code
are tightly integrated. Like for instance module name is part of an URL of
some documentation website. If module name changes, chances are it will
also screw any non manual documentation system documenting it (that would
screw Akretion documentation system here for instance).

Why do you need to fork dependent modules just because you fork an
‘abstract’ module?  I don’t understand.

One simple example: dependent modules tend to extend the views defined in
the intermediary modules (but it's not limited to the views records).
That's they are using the "xml_id" or ir_model_data id of those
intermediary modules to define how they extend them. And example is how
magentoerpconnect extends the base_sale_multichannels views.

So if Mr phD OpenERP tells us to rename intermediary module such
as base_sale_multichannels just because we need some newer version and
because they don't bite the dependency bullet, then I'll need to change all
the references to those ir_model_data ids, that is I'll need to fork the
terminal module just to cope with using a newer abstract dependencies.

And changing those ir_model_data records would also create migration hell
in the databases where OpenERP is deployed of course.

So it fails in practice.

Does it answer you doubts?

Regards

--