openerp-expert-localization team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: openerp localization module

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Nicolas Vanhoren <
nicolas.vanhoren@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hello Raphael,
>
> First, let met state that the rules you criticize are not my idea, and they
> are not new either. They were always active it's just we have never written
> them anywhere before.

Well, but now that you look and see that out of Belgium, localization
experts emit reserve against that one module per localization policy (at
least OpenERP being what it is now, that is unable to support most of
localizations without important extensions), may be it's time to re-think
that rule, well hopefully...

> Let's be clear, the purpose of the l10n modules, until now, is mainly to
> provide a default chart of account for people that install OpenERP and just
> would like a correct chart of account for their country. Sometimes, we don't
> mind adding extra functionalities as they are related to accounting and
> independent from the other modules of OpenERP (that's the case for bank
> import/export and reports). But that's all.

Just a remark: may be your l10n_xx localization module idea with just a
chart of account is an effort to make localization converge for the future
and in this case I respect the concept.
But you have to be aware, and let people be aware that in many countries,
having only the basic chart of account is totally useless for now!!

So, just to give an idea, at least for Spain, Brazil, Venezuela, Thailand (I
give those examples because I know the work done here by
the prominent members of the community), only the chart of account is a
joke. It doesn't cover accounting at all: at best it might work if enter
every account move manually in your chart of accounts (who would do that?).
But no invoice, or now product tax would even get written properly in the
account chart without a large part of the rest of the localization (for
Brazil, accounting is only possible if you install at least l10n_br_account
to be clear).

In Brazil for instance, if what you want is "accounting only", then instead
of just the charts you extracted into l10n_br, you should actually include
the whole l10n_br_account module, that also depends on l10n_br_base (which
extends partners, address and co but depends only upon 'base'). I see that
you don't want to do that, I respect the fact OpenERP has limited resources
for releasing that v6 and this is just a start (a good one). Now, we
wouldn't like to see our effort ruined in the future and OpenERP asking to
migrate features from l10n_br_account without preserving the modularity of
l10n_br_base and or breaking customer installations by having to rename
objects/references over that sub-optimal modularity, instead of respecting
the work of people that know their localization and made the effort to think
about preserving the modularity of OpenERP.
So yes, for converging and starting right no, but please just say no to
mystification.

> Maybe in the future we will allow localization modules for more than just
> accounting, and we will create new guidelines and maybe new module naming
> convention for those. But that's not for this version.

Again, if what you want is "accounting" for the Brazilian localization, your
module is l10n_br_account and depends on l10n_br_base. Else it's only a
"work in progress toward future convergence", but shouldn't be presented
differently (specially for maintenance contracts, please ask to take a look
to the recent private discussion between OpenERP SA, CampToCamp and us to
this respect if you don't see what I mean in practice).

> Even if the code provided is related to accounting, we really can't accept
> everything. If you add to much fields in the base objects of OpenERP, if you
> redefine to much methods and modify too much views, if will obviously not
> fit correctly with the other modules.

Yes, we override lot's of things but:
- often that's all we can do to support our localization given the
OpenObject base (tax included stuff was not working when we started the
localization, lots of code logic in OpenERP is duplicated no modular
enough...)
- all serious integrator are forced to do that currently. Take your "gold
level" partner Almacom, well, in all their work your recognize as  "gold
level quality", they can do no better than override lot's of things for
their Thai localization (look all they had to override
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp-thai-team/openerp-thai/openobject-addons-thai/files
...).
Other many other serious integrators around can do no better unfortunately.

> Plus we don't have time to review each line of code to check if it's not
> gona make bug appears, especially when it's hard to understand the purpose
> of that code because there is no comments to explain the rationale.

Well, at some point it's totally normal that half a dozen of guys from
OpenERP SA can't know and support all localizations in the world. No-one
would do better, and IMHO that's why you should work better with local
partners.

> Yes, I know OpenERP's code doesn't contain too much comments either, but
> that's not a good excuse to do the same. I would also like to say that
> comments that are in any other language than English are just useless.

Now, yes, we should document that better too. I have personally been very
active to force the Brazilian localization to use English terms in the code
for instance to avoid that kind of issues, if you look my commits, they
where always in English, and it cost us to do so... Also be aware that local
folks will understand the concepts of their country (they know it already),
and may be that was the priority, before trying to teach OpenERP SA which
wasn't answering threads because too busy when we tried to teach discuss
features. Now, that would be a pleasure to help make things converge in the
future as I said.

Anyway, just a detail: Please, in the future, could you avoid to broadcast
> on a mailing list a mail I sent to you personally? Thanks in advance.

Nicolas, I did that because I saw nothing confidential in your email. But
mainly because I think that often OpenERP SA isn't communicative enough with
it's developer community. Look here,  this email thread has been useful to
many guys starting a localization and possibly the comments from the
advanced community members such as Borja Lopez will be useful to OpenERP for
them to re-consider some of their localization guidelines. Honestly,
general interest is what should prevail here. Now next time, as you ask it,
I'll re-phrase your statements instead.

Best regards and thank you for your valuable time, this is the kind of
discussion that make OpenERP progress.

Raphaël Valyi
Founder and ERP Consultant
+55 21 3010 9965