Re: Ubuntu now looking at OpenShot!

Hello Jonathan,

Yes he has a very realistic opinion of the various video editors for
Linux, but hadn't come across OpenShot before.

I did a bit of happy trolling on the ubuntu-news site offering to write
an article on why I wanted to work in the Ubuntu Community. The article
is going to be a cut down version of what I put on my blog.

But that gave me an opportunity to talk to a few of the Ubuntu Members
from ubuntu-news and ubuntu-women.

I was told that your problems with ffmpeg were common to every project
that uses ffmpeg. One or two people recommended static linking it, until
I explained that OpenShot is in Python.

Most of them recommended that we concentrate on developing it for Karmic
9.10 because the updated ffmpeg and mlt libraries might work.

I checked the versions using rmadison and got the following for Jaunty
and Karmic:

helen@pliny:~/ffmpeg$ rmadison mlt
       mlt | 0.2.4.svn20071228-0.0ubuntu2 | hardy/universe | source
       mlt | 0.2.4.svn20071228-0.0ubuntu4 | intrepid/universe | source
       mlt | 0.3.8-0ubuntu2 | jaunty/universe | source
       mlt |    0.4.4-2 | karmic/universe | source

    ffmpeg | 3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu2+unstripped1 | jaunty/multiverse |
source
    ffmpeg | 3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6 |        jaunty | amd64, i386
    ffmpeg | 4:0.5+svn20090609-1ubuntu3 |        karmic | amd64, i386
    ffmpeg | 4:0.5+svn20090609-2+unstripped2 | karmic/multiverse |
source

Most said that to avoid any breaking of other programs using ffmpeg, it
is best to static link ffmpeg - so maybe try static linking into the
0.4.5 version of mlt to give a super-library for Openshot which won't
break other packages.

Later this week I am going to submit my openshot-docs package to REVU
and see what they say.

I think the freeze goes on today, so later this week they won't have
such a pressure on REVU. Ubuntu Members like Andrea Veri are encouraging
us to put the packages up for REVU and get some advice that way.

Best wishes, Helen