openstack-community team mailing list archive

Re: Beyond the wiki page: planning an International Community Portal

On Fri 11 May 2012 08:14:43 AM PDT, Everett Toews wrote:
> We use meetup.com <http://meetup.com> for the Canadian OpenStack Users
> Group. It does everything we need it to do and it's very reasonably
> priced. I don't see us switching away from it.

I believe that Meetup may not be a good thing for us in the long run.
Last time I checked, you can't switch away from it because technically
Meetup owns the group, not you. If you as administrator of the group
decide that Meetup doesn't satisfy you anymore, you cannot close it.
AFAIK you can only step down as administrator and Meetup.com will find
a new administrator for you.

Of course it's your choice to use it or not but I'm not comfortable
advocating for it as a solution, quite the contrary indeed.

> From the wiki page <http://wiki.openstack.org/OpenStackUserGroups> it
> looks like a lot of the other OSUGs are using it too. Whatever tool is
> decided upon, hopefully it can integrate with meetup.com

After this discussion, I feel very inclined to provide a simple
directory-type of portal whose mail functionalities will be to list the
resources available for user groups, in different languages. The choice
of tools to use to actually *run* the group will be left to the group
itself and the portal will mainly provide the links to the group's
resources.

Is anybody interested in testing the Ubuntu Loco Portal code?
https://launchpad.net/loco-team-portal it's a django app and may
provide us all we need but it may be too tightly integrated with
Launchpad. I'd like to give it a spin some time next week and start
playing with our use cases to see how much it fits.

let me know,
stef