Re: Documentation accuracy rating

Great input, more comments below.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Razique Mahroua
<razique.mahroua@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Thanks for the informations, please see my comments
>
>   Anne Gentle <anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  7 mai 2012 22:32
> Ok, that makes perfect sense to me.
>
> I'll do a first pass. Here are some things that stick out of me from the
> last five months of analytics.
>
> - The Starter Guide for Diablo still gets a huge number of hits. It's also
> a popular landing page That guide will be updated for Essex this week. I
> expect a similar trend.
>
> Let's hope the rework we will do around the landing page and within the
> guide would keep it well demanded. I'm almost done with the validation of
> the CSSCorp guide, after that, I'll test that one also from scratch.

You probably don't need to do that - it has been updated as bugs are logged
against it. And how many people are installing Diablo at this point?
Probably not many?

Swift still contains, as Keystone when it arrived, much complicated both
concepts AND words (much more than keystone in fact : reaper, auditor,
accounter, replicas, zones, weight, etc...) Maybe as we did for KS, a
schema would present it. I myself need to learn more from it, I'll work on
a schema as I did for Keystone.

You're correct about the vocabulary hurdle... how about adding these to the
/doc/src/docbkx/common/glossary.xml file? There's a bug where a little more
work needs to be done to get the glossary to output correctly, see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/985944.

- The new reference listing of all 467 nova config options is sporting a
74% bounce rate. My guess is that it doesn't offer enough information
really about configuration, but someone searched for the option name and
only found that page. Since there are still 4-5 doc bugs remaining about
how to configure nova, this is also not surprising. From that page visitors
try other pages about configuring specific parts of Compute, like the API,
so I think work spent there would be well spent.

What page is it ? I think there are several, not sure about that

It's at
http://docs.openstack.org/essex/openstack-compute/admin/content/compute-options-reference.html.

- To your credit Razique, the new multi-nic page is doing very well in the
stats. Lots of visitors, less than 50% bounce rate. I think it would get a
"kick-ass" section rating!

Thanks, I think the schema helps

I do realize a high bounce rate might be a good thing, that people find
what they need and move on. I'm looking for topics where I don't think
they're finding what they need.

What i like is the ability for the reader to leave comments. Is it possible
for me to get notified when a comment is published for a given page ? We
could also update the doc and triage the bugs based on user requests

Yes, absolutely! Go to disqus.com and get a username, then send it to me.
I'll add you as a moderator, and you can adjust your settings for
notifications. You can also subscribe to the RSS feeds for each Disqus ID,
such as http://openstackinstall.disqus.com/latest.rss or
http://openstackdocs.disqus.com/latest.rss.

VNC and volumes are both highly visited topics.

That is a great news, both used to be undocumented compared to other topics
:)

I'm surprised the networking topics aren't more visited. Perhaps they're
not as findable? Seems like people are always asking about it on the list.

Network is a real challenge when it comes to deployment. I remember one
asking for extra network deployment scenario. Even if we provide much infos
about it, it is never enough. Something might be missing, extra schemes,
definitions maybe ?

Honestly the feedback I hear is that people try to install without knowing
their network configuration - there's a lot of "hidden" network
configurations in different places.

Here are the top 25 search terms on docs.openstack.org (the top search
field):

  keystone  quantum  dashboard  swift  nova  architecture  diablo  essex
vmware  api  nova configuration  nova-manage restart all services  install
Quantum  snapshot  vnc  installation  network  kvm  live migration
nova-manage  nova.conf  scheduler  ubuntu  windows
I hope this is helpful and close to what you were originally seeking. We
can revisit in 3 months and see how trends are looking.

There are two ways to interpret that list, the first one being the "hot
topics" - KS, Quantum, Horizon, based on the news, the upcoming features,
the OPS capabilities
The second one being... elements for which we lack of extra informations
about. Why "nova-manage restart all services " is in that list ? or even live
migration (that one is pretty interesting "architecture", ).

Hm, yep, lots of interpretations.

Thanks for reading all the way through!

Anne

JPEG image