Re: Client documentation

On Aug 7, 2012, at 10:18 AM, Anne Gentle <anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hm. I documented it with "pip install" in the "Quick Start" and that's how I have it installed locally. Then, I never remember it's 'yolk -l | grep "nova"' to find the version. Nuts! Is it pypi that's the "official" packaging and versioning? Or should we be only documenting what's in a particular distro?

I must confess I don't understand how the various client packages version themselves, this is probably something we should ask on the openstack-dev mailing list. While the client packages do get repackaged by the distros, I think that the versions on PyPi are also "official" in some sense as well.

Since the Compute API is versioned and the client is backwards compatible, it should generally be safe to grab the latest version from PyPi. However, I don't know what happens if you do "sudo pip install python-novaclient" on, say, an Ubuntu 12.04 system that already has the Ubuntu-packaged python-novaclient version installed. Probably not a good idea to do something like that.

On the other hand, installing this in a virtualenv is probably safe.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein