Re: Core team review - February 2017

On 17/02/17 16:56, Joseph Robinson wrote:
> For new cores, and for English Second Language contributors, one idea I¹ve
> thought about before is having a section in the contributor guide that has
> a short list of questions a contributor can send to the mailing list to
> introduce themselves. The questions could be published in a few different
> languages. As an example:
>
> New contributors are welcome
> ============================
>
> If you are new to the OpenStack Docs team, you can contact the mailing
> list any time for support. If you want to write a short introduction, you
> could write to us about:
>
> #. What interests you most about the docs project?
> #. What Do you like about Documentation?
> #. Etc.

I'm happy to contribute what I sent to Chason:

> I would start with your name, where you work, and the type of work you do. You might like to add what education you have, and where you live.
>
> You could also add something more personal, such as the types of things you like doing when you have time off.
>
> As an example, here is the introduction I sent to the docs mailing list back in 2013:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Today is my first day as a technical writer at Rackspace, so I thought I'd drop a line to the mailing list to introduce myself.
>>
>> I've been working on Red Hat documentation for the past six years or so, primarily cloud-based, so Openstack isn't too much of an ideological or technological leap for me. I've been a tech writer for about eight years all up, and I also have a postgraduate degree in technical communications (as well as business degrees in information systems and marketing).
>>
>> I'm working with the Australian engineering group under Michael Still. I'm based in Brisbane, but I should hopefully have the chance to meet up with other contributors around the world from time to time.
>>
>> You can find me all over the internet, primarily at G+ (http://plus.google.com/109940408979717402314) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/loquacities), and at http://lanabrindley.com.
>>
>> I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all!

Additionally, there was a very good talk at linux.conf.au in January by some international OpenStack contributors. I'd like to reach out to them to use their slides to create some content in the Contributor Guide as well.

Here's the video, which I highly recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsn6buk-BtE&t=1s

Lana Brindley
Technical Writer
Rackspace Cloud Builders Australia