Re: Meeting tomorrow

Andy put together some excellent resources and migration plans. The main
sticking point, as he mentioned, was needing to have a conversation with
the github people about the lack of a discreet state for a pull request.
There has been a decent amount of conversation back and forth around
this point, and it has been pointed out that there are certainly some
workarounds that could be put in to place. The main concern with them is
that, while they would be technically machine processable (any
combination of plusses and minuses is algorithmically possible to deal
with) - without UI indication of the actual results of that algorithm,
it would quickly become quite difficult for a normal human to be able to
follow/track the state of a given pull request at any given point in
time - and absolutely impossible to get an overview list of the state of
all of the outstanding pull requests.

My concern is that if we move forward using the suggested workarounds,
we will be losing functionality/state information that we currently
have. While this is not functionality that is important to the
developers who have thusfar expressed an opinion - and I do appreciate
that it's frustrating to be blocked on something that seems unimportant
due to personal lack of use - it is important to those of us, like ttx
and myself, who deal with the project from a slightly different perspective.

However, the data structure behind the pull request when accessed over
the REST API does contain a field that ostensibly could be used to track
something like this - and thus why I've been asking since the ODS to be
introducted to someone at github so that we can chat about solutions.

As far as I can tell at this point, this is the only important sticking
point from my end. Just while we're talking about it - we will also need
to figure out something to substitute for the lack of monotonically
increasing revnos in git for our PPA packages - but I'm fairly sure we
can either accomplish that via Jenkins - or perhaps a local database of
revisions that we've released.

Once we can get the stateless nature of pull requests addressed in a
predictable and understandable manner, I think we will have solved the
fundamental points and the rest of the differences will really just be a
matter of addressing philosophical differences in workflow as we come
across them.

Additionally, barring direction to the contrary, I was going to sic Jim
Blair on the jenkins tarmac replacement and finishing the jclouds plugin
as soon as he's on board, so we should have that piece of the puzzle
sorted in early July.

All of that to say, unless the guys at github are just completely
intractable and unwilling to work with us to find a solution (which I
doubt they will be), I see no reason why we would not be able to hit the
end of July given where we are right now.

Monty