Re: Meeting tomorrow

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM, John Dickinson
<john.dickinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I understand the need to get through the first two issues. That being said, issue 4 is of pressing importance to me.

Hey John,

I understand that the Swift team wants to move to GitHub at the
earliest possible time. However, can you elaborate as to why this is
of *pressing* importance? Besides a preference for Git and GitHub's
code hosting facilities, is there specific functionality that GitHub
provides you that your team simply cannot do without (and thus have a
pressing importance to move to)?

> The swift team is anxiously awaiting our move to git/github, and I've been getting questions about it almost daily. We certainly want to be good Openstack citizens, and so we want to work with those who would be affected. I have been working on information on how we can perform the move successfully. These are on https://github.com/openstack/swift/wiki. Our desire is to set a timeframe for the move, and work with all affected parties to resolve anything that needs to get done. I'm currently thinking a move to github can be a requirement for our 1.4.2 release.

That work is ongoing and involves Monty and Andy Smith. In addition,
I'm going to be asking Jim Blair, a new hire on our team, to focus on
this as well. While Andy Smith has documented how to migrate
(everything) over to GitHub, there are known issues around pull
requests not having a granular enough status to work with our
automated patch queue management and review process. While it may be
fine for Swift, where there are far fewer developers, bugs and
blueprints, for Nova, we can't risk doing a move without fully
thinking out the plan and paying attention to all the details.

The issues with GitHub's pull requests are known. The proposed
solution (to look for 2 "lgtm"s in review comments) is not enough in
my opinion. Monty has asked for assistance in contacting developers at
GitHub in order to address the issues with pull requests not having
sufficient status granularity and not having the ability to enforce
review procedures (2 approves from nova-core members for the Nova
project). If you or anyone else on the PPB can assist Monty by
providing contact information for people at GitHub that can effect
changes to the interface (and API), that would be most appreciated.

Migrating *code hosting* to GitHub was what was decided at the last
design summit, and that is the priority for Monty and Jim Blair.
Blueprints and bugs will stay on Launchpad until other issues are
resolved. I think that Monty and Jim can work together to make the
code hosting switch happen in a timely manner (D3/end of July). If we
can focus our energies on the code hosting part of the migration, and
for the time being put aside any distraction of migrating bugs and
blueprints, that would be a great help to Monty and Jim.

Cheers,
jay