Re: Revisit project autonomy / project philosophy discussion

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM, John Dickinson
<john.dickinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>>
>> So, you'd have bug *reporting* in one place and bug *tracking* in
>> another? And you'd have roadmaps displayed in one place, but roadmap
>> *planning* in another? That sounds like a terrible idea to me.
>
> This doesn't mean different "places", ie toolsets. Different "roles". Openstack should be focused on doing what is possible to encourage getting these projects into production: large-scale QA, defining the "Openstack vision", and visibility to the community for roadmaps, bugs, and advocacy. The big-picture things rather than toolset-level choices.

OK, I understood you better now. Thanks.

>> Again, this goes back to the fundamental philosophical difference; the
>> Swift team feels like OpenStack is a set of loosely affiliated
>> projects that happen to have a "unifying vision for the group"
>> (whatever that means). Others, including myself, view the OpenStack
>> project as a Cloud platform that has individual projects, some of
>> which may be individually installed as stand-alone components, but
>> that are meant to function in an integrated and cohesive way.
>
> Absolutely agree. This is the issue that needs to be resolved. I wouldn't have worded it exactly like you did here, but this does get to the heart of the issue, and it's why we're talking about this in the first place.

I didn't vote at the last PPB meeting as I was in an allhands team
meeting, but I did read back the log. I think you know how I would
have voted ;)

It seemed like a pretty clear decision was reached, but I could be
wrong about it. Are you asking for a re-vote on the decision above at
the next PPB meeting?

> As a side-note here, I'd really like to avoid an "us vs them" mentality for this debate. Let's please discuss the arguments based on their merits rather than framing things in a dev team A vs dev team B way.

Yes, you're absolutely right on that, and my apologies for coming off
as a personal attack on your or the Swift team. I recognize that we
both have emotions invested in this.

>> If we only used the tools that the Swift team preferred, would you
>> really take issue with any of this?
>
> The right answer for the wrong reasons may still be the wrong answer. Using foobar hosting is not the important decision to me. The important issue is whether a project can use foobar hosting or not, at its own discretion.

OK, that's good to know at least...

-jay