Re: [Openstack] proposal for policy around and management of client libraries

On 11/08/2011 09:03 AM, John Dickinson wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2011, at 10:54 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>
>> With solution (2), if you look at the issue from Gerrit, GitHub,
>> Launchpad or Jenkins, those will be separate projects though. The
>> fact that they share the same PTL is not enough to make them "one".
>> For example, they will have separate bug pages and release pages
>> on Launchpad, separate jobs on Jenkins...
>>
>> Solution (1) actually allows you to have two tarballs as "release
>> deliverables" on the release page of a single core project.
>> Solution (2) doesn't.
>>
>> In all cases you bring new client code projects into the realm of
>> "OpenStack core projects" (be it as an extension of scope of an
>> existing one or as a separate project), which I think warrants a
>> discussion from the PPB.
>
> I'm not ready to commit to one solution as better than the other yet.
> However, I don't see why a separate client library project managed by
> the same group as the core project needs to be seen as a
> proliferation of openstack core projects. "Nova" is still just one
> core project even if it has two components: the server-side engine
> and a client-facing library.

Certainly not trying assert one as absolutely better. I guess I'm trying
to say "hey, we currently have no working implementation plan, here's
the one I'd like to try which has most of the use cases at least
accounted for, if not perfectly"

I agree with John here. I think that "Nova" can be a "core project" that
has two different repos called "nova" and "python-novaclient" without
breaking too many things.

I believe we have a slight problem with conjoined terminology where
"project" can refer to a code project which has tarballs and bugs and
such, and "project" can also refer to our management structure around
things (a project is a thing with a PTL)

I think in this case that it's as important to continue to have a
separate project on launchpad for each code repo. I think it's important
for python-novaclient to release tarballs and have bugs tracked
separately - those things are bugs in python-novaclient, not in nova.

I understand what you're saying about release tarballs - but given the
One OpenStack decision during the last cycle, perhaps us putting release
tarballs on each project page is less interesting than having a single
OpenStack location that all of the tarballs we produce goes? Or?

Monty