Re: [Openstack] 3rd Party APIs

On May 8, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Doug Davis wrote:

Mark McLoughlin wrote on 05/08/2012 10:58:45 AM:

> What I'd like to see us get to is:
>
>   Deep overlap between the OpenStack developer community and the
> community of folks drafting whatever IaaS standard(s) wind up being
>   dominant.
>
> e.g. prominent, active Nova developers developers contributing to the
>   CIMI or OCCI standards and bringing the needs of OpenStack to the
> standard and bringing ideas from the standards process to OpenStack.
>
> This isn't a question of asking existing OpenStack developers to join > these standards bodies. It's about enabling members of those standards
> bodies to become as much a part of OpenStack as any other developer.
>
> How to do that? Encourage members the various standards communities to
> actively contribute an implementation of their standard to OpenStack
> and, more importantly, stick around to become an ongoing active member
> of the OpenStack developer community.

One of the first things we noticed in our CIMI work was that pretty much every IaaS input contribution was basically the same - not syntactically but semantically. This made our lives so much easier. It's also evidenced by the fact that adapter projects (like DeltaCloud) can exist. If there wasn't
semantic similarities between all of those IaaS providers then I doubt
DC would be able to work.

So, why am I bringing this up? Because while I agree with Mark that getting standards folks into OS is a good idea, I think having it be a good two-way communication is even better. Meaning, I think it would be good for Nova
folks to find a way to influence the standards too.  Just as I'm sure
some Nova guys are already running from their keyboards at the prospect of talking to standards weenies :-) I know there are plenty of standards folks who will never join Openstack (for a variety of technical and business reasons). Yet for the sake of the broader community I think we need to find a way to make
them work together.

Additionally, and now the hard part, I think it would be good for people to realize that there is a spot in the middle where both sides can meet. Having looked at a variety of IaaS APIs, and more recently looking at how CIMI can map to Nova, I'm (again) struck at how similar they are. And if I were to play God for a moment, I'd slap both sides upside their heads and tell them to each bend a little and find a spot in the middle. CIMI can change, and Nova
can change - after all, it's just an API.

-Doug Davis
dug@xxxxxxxxxx

I will make the same offer on behalf of the OCCI folks, many of whom are active contributors of code to various interoperability projects including OpenStack (see for example the link below). In SDOs we can do our work most effectively and efficiently in two-way communication with people who want to implement them, and only work of this nature can force the various SDOs doing work to apply Occam's Razor and go for the simplest -- and preferably most featureful and elegant -- solution.

  http://occi-wg.org/2012/04/17/occi-openstack-demo/

The OpenStack community says right on the front its website that it aims to be a project to drive standards. Most SDOs are quite open to being driven and responsive to needs, so please keep driving! (But don't stop at the level of what works for a particular project or demonstration code -- if you want it to be truly interoperable, it's got to work across multiple projects! So please think beyond the "Not Invented Here" mentality, and as Doug says, work with us so that we can bring these standards together and make them work for you, as well as for other code and infrastructures that are out there.

SPeaking for the OGF community, we are completely dedicated to working in an open setting with OpenStack and any other infrastructure project that aims to build effective, interoperable code for distributed computing. That is the entire focus and mission of OGF, as an Open Forum. We are also committed to building partnerships and working relationships with other SDOs, such as DMTF, TM Forum, ITU-T, ISO, SNIA, and have many such organizational partnerships in place already.

For real work, the Cloud Plugfests are a good opportunity to do code- oriented developemnt that results in real exchange of information with other partners. For registration and information, please see the sign- up form that is currently hosted on the SNIA site:

  http://snia.org/cloud/cloudplugfest

A dedicated Cloud Plugfest site is close to completion and will be announced shortly. (Multiple SDOs and organizations welcome!)

Beyond this, except for the possible physical intervention suggested by Doug's post (grin), I am in complete agreement with the thoughts behind it!

Links:
http://occi-wg.org
http://ogf.org/
http://ogf.org/OGF35/
http://ogf.org/OGF35/
http://cloud-standards.org

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Vice President of Standards, Open Grid Forum

Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Drane 162, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill@xxxxxxx   ph. 806-834-5940  fax 806-834-4358  :