Re: [OpenStack Foundation] Technical Committee: reserved seats for PTLs (or not)

I'm concerned I was a bit too nuanced with you and so will take a bit to refamiliarize myself with the more formal language of the proposed bylaws and endeavor to be more direct; however, I think you are clearly missing what I mean by integration... your language assumes conflict, such as "the hard decisions", as if the TC is destined to find itself in conflict from its inception, and as if the community (consisting mostly of people actually doing work), actually needs some party to dictate to them rather than educate and guide them.

If you look back on the history of openstack I think you'll find "the community" rejected technical/architectural direction quite, quite ferociously.

I also will look into learning your background as I haven't done you the courtesy of that in this brief interchange; however, I'm curious whether you've ever operated in an environment such as you recommend?

Frankly, I'd be surprised (and pleasantly educated) if you could show me such a (successful) model and its relevance and leverage to an open source foundation and community.

In my opinion, the layer at which OpenStack foundation needs to be worried about conflict-oriented conversations is above the TC.  If the assumption is the TC will necessarily be in conflict with the projects and PTLs (and thus need firm, separatist resolution), then we have a flawed model.

Tension between the TC and other governing bodies is rational.  The TC should
be bringing and championing the bottom up concerns to the foundation's more strategic layers... that requires alignment between people with technical vision and peeps with technical skin in the game.  That requires a different sort of tension.

Otherwise, as Joe pointed out, this part of the foundation is simply seeding its  own demise.

Y'all are welcome to reach me on this topic at 206-790-1074 and Justin I'd be happy to spend higher bandwidth to make my point.

At this point though, other peeps need to speak up.

JanMan